Re: Time to move to Groups.io? #Group

Bill Lugg

Another group I'm on, the SPng group, ran into the same issue regarding the fee.  Several of us chipped in a dollar or two via PayPal and the problem was solved.  The list owner even came out with enough money that the group was able to make a pretty good donation to the operation and maintenance of SP ng #18 in Independence, CA.  It could work here too.

Bill Lugg

On 10/16/19 9:10 AM, tynewydd@... [XTrkCad] wrote:
Here's the issue, folks - it costs money.  Shock, I know -> "but it says its free" (actually it says "Freemium") - Since Feb this year groups.io has effectively been charging 100 dollars to migrate groups.  A forced, 1 year, premium subscription. I discovered this as I was playing about with it today.

And, if you don't use their migration service, you are out-of-luck about having either your membership or your content (posts, files) transferred. You can't add the folks yourself (needs a premium membership, ;-) ), and you can't get the content over in any way I can find other than as individual members moving files but certainly no preservation of the archive.

Therefore, the question is, are we prepared to move house virally, leaving behind the messages here as an archive until such time as Yahoo decides to terminate them and throws away the storage, and have you guys migrate your own files as you feel led - so we can continue to be free?

Or maybe some kind person(s) is willing to help by donating?