Re: Time to move to Groups.io? #Group

Bill Lugg

It seems to me if it's posted on a public site, which I believe we can say Yahoo Groups is, consent is implied. Once it's there the original poster has little control over what happens to it. Obviously, this doesn't extend to violation of copyright restrictions, but moving data from one site to another doesn't seem to me to cross that threshold.

And that's my ignorant non-legal opinion...worth what you paid for it. ;o)

Bill Lugg

On 10/16/19 3:40 PM, Alan Cox alan@... [XTrkCad] wrote:

On 16 Oct 2019 08:10:37 -0700
"tynewydd@... [XTrkCad]" <XTrkCad@...> wrote:

Here's the issue, folks - it costs money. Shock, I know -> "but it
says its free" (actually it says "Freemium") - Since Feb this year groups.io has effectively been charging 100 dollars to migrate groups. A forced, 1 year, premium subscription. I discovered this as I was playing about with it today.

And, if you don't use their migration service, you are out-of-luck
about having either your membership or your content (posts, files) transferred. You can't add the folks yourself (needs a premium membership, ;-) ), and you can't get the content over in any way I can find other than as individual members moving files but certainly no preservation of the archive.

Therefore, the question is, are we prepared to move house virally,
leaving behind the messages here as an archive until such time as Yahoo decides to terminate them and throws away the storage, and have you guys migrate your own files as you feel led - so we can continue to be free?

Or maybe some kind person(s) is willing to help by donating?
The other side of it to be careful with is that you don't necessarily
have consent from the other parties to copy their stuff over. I've been
involved in a couple of moves where that was a blocker (especially in the
EU).

Alan