Re: Saving layout files #HowTo #Bug

Nick

Oddly, I've never had this problem - but then the first thing I've always done when starting a new variant of a layout under a new name is to save it under that new name in case of crashes.

On Sun, 7 Mar 2021, 14:22 Robert Scott via groups.io, <sparky1bob=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
I am with Rob as well.
Running 5.2.1a on Windows 10, wondering no more.
Now I know what happened to all those layouts.

Typically, I would create a space, such as a two car garage, and give the space a name, such as "DBL GARAGE."
Each different table design and each different layout on that table would get a number, so "DBL GARAGE 22" would be the second table design, second layout. A variation on that layout might be "DBL GARAGE 221".

Not knowing Autosave was working in the background caused layouts, that I wanted to save, to vanish. Same name on a different layout, original gone, poof, cloud of smoke, echo of maniacal laughter. That would result in an appeal to Whisky, Tango, Foxtrot and the gods of software. I suspected Norton was at work again, so I didn't create a #BUG.

Bob
On Sunday, March 7, 2021, 07:33:12 a.m. EST, Chris Kenyon <chriskenyon@...> wrote:

I am 100% with @Rob Pearce - I haven't moved on to 5.2 but Autosave would definitely have caught me out unless the default frequency was zero.  I regularly open a file and fiddle around with it, for ages sometimes, to see if something works.  If it does, I either "save" or "save as" depending on whether I want to keep both the original version and the new one, or just the new one. But if the idea doesn't work, I just exit without saving.  If an autosave had in the meantime overwritten the original file, meaning I couldn't get back to it "as was", I would be most dischuffed.

Cheers, Chris