Re: Saving layout files #HowTo #Bug

Robert Scott

That's the work-around. With Autosave off, all the saved files stay in place and files you don't want don't get saved.
Save the file, make multiple changes, don't like the result, go back to saved file.
If you like the result, save it, under a new name or not.

Bob

On Sunday, March 7, 2021, 10:37:46 a.m. EST, Nick <nick.meredith@...> wrote:

Oddly, I've never had this problem - but then the first thing I've always done when starting a new variant of a layout under a new name is to save it under that new name in case of crashes.

On Sun, 7 Mar 2021, 14:22 Robert Scott via groups.io, <sparky1bob=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
I am with Rob as well.
Running 5.2.1a on Windows 10, wondering no more.
Now I know what happened to all those layouts.

Typically, I would create a space, such as a two car garage, and give the space a name, such as "DBL GARAGE."
Each different table design and each different layout on that table would get a number, so "DBL GARAGE 22" would be the second table design, second layout. A variation on that layout might be "DBL GARAGE 221".

Not knowing Autosave was working in the background caused layouts, that I wanted to save, to vanish. Same name on a different layout, original gone, poof, cloud of smoke, echo of maniacal laughter. That would result in an appeal to Whisky, Tango, Foxtrot and the gods of software. I suspected Norton was at work again, so I didn't create a #BUG.

Bob
On Sunday, March 7, 2021, 07:33:12 a.m. EST, Chris Kenyon <chriskenyon@...> wrote:

I am 100% with @Rob Pearce - I haven't moved on to 5.2 but Autosave would definitely have caught me out unless the default frequency was zero.  I regularly open a file and fiddle around with it, for ages sometimes, to see if something works.  If it does, I either "save" or "save as" depending on whether I want to keep both the original version and the new one, or just the new one. But if the idea doesn't work, I just exit without saving.  If an autosave had in the meantime overwritten the original file, meaning I couldn't get back to it "as was", I would be most dischuffed.

Cheers, Chris