Topics

Welcome, welcome and thrice welcome! #Group

You made it!  And now (as of October 20th) your content did as well!  The old group has been shut down.

Please feel free to post and interact here as you did on Yahoo, all about XtrackCAD (also known as XtrkCAD) now in V5.1.2a with a V5.2 beta in the near future.

For anyone who stumbled on this group latterly, I'm Adam, the junior partner in maintaining the program generously donated to open source by its creator Dave Bullis. The senior partner is Martin Fischer, who will be along soon to introduce himself, I expect.  And several others have made significant contributions, and we welcome those how want to practice the dark arts (aka multi-platform coding in C).

XTrackCAD the program lives on SourceForge at https://sourceforge.net/projects/xtrkcad-fork/ and we have a wiki at http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/HomePage. You'll immediately notice that we have two names which is a historical artifact that I'll allow Martin to explain (if he chooses to).  But "tom-a-to/tom-ah-to" as we say, it's one of the best programs for planning model railway/railroad layouts and simulating their operation.  And it's FREE!

We have now transfrered the content and users.  Theses are the statistics I got from groups.io.

  1. Total Members Processed: 5630
  2. Successfully Added: 4569
  3. Bounced Members (Skipped): 957
  4. Moderated Members: 4321
  5. Members on Digest: 579
  6. Undisclosed Emails (Skipped): 5

Only one message could not be transferred. I expect we will have some people choosing to unsubscribe which is fine - how to do that is on the bottom of the home page.

Enjoy!

Jeff Taylor

I think the group subscriptions are also included when you migrate the Yahoo data?  I've never had to re-subscribe to other groups that migrated.

On 10/17/2019 08:17 AM, tynewydd@... [XTrkCad] wrote:

All,

We are up on groups.io, but without the content migrated yet.

The new address is https://groups.io/g/xtrackcad.

You can find us by looking up either version of our name in the directory.

Once you have subscribed and approved, you can post on the site itself or via email at the address shown on the site's home page.

Thank you so very much to those who have contributed to the subscription at paypal.me/xtrackcad, it shows our community in its best light - and what a grass-roots movement can do. I'll take stock of our contributions next week and report back on the total and then we can decide where we are and what we want to do with any extra money.

Adam

PS  I have invited all the current moderation team individually and made them moderators who can approve subscriptions and messages. We will need to approve each to try and keep spammers at bay. I'll look myself at least every day to clear the queue. If anyone else has a burning lust to moderate, and can keep the simple "no ads, no spam, no cant, try to cut out any huge repetition of thread content" rule - happy to add you.

schertn

Do we need to register again or will we be transfered?

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S9+, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

[...]

Jerry W

Will the files on the Yahoo group be migrated to Group.io?
--
Jerry

Adam Richards

Yes - we are working in the process - and (as you can imagine) groups.io is backed up. If we don’t see progress in a week, we’ll let everyone know so we can make other arrangements.

Adam

tynewydd@...

You can choose to migrate yourself or you can wait to be migrated. Either way will work. Note that all the program knows you as is your email address on this site, so if you go over ahead of migration and you want to retain your id as in your old postings, you should use the same email address as on you do here, I believe.

Groups.io will migrate all our members (but it may take some time due to backlog) or you can transfer yourself right away. As I understand the process, if you have already arrived on groups.io, the transfer program will not re-migrate you (it only adds if you aren't there).

The same process will move the existing postings and the groups' files over. It will not migrate any attachments to the postings, however.

Adam

David Bromage

I already had an account on groups.io but with a different email address to the one I used for Yahoo. Hopefully this doesn't cause any complications with the migration.

Cheers
David

Adam Richards

Not to the migration - it wont care. You will likely get an invite to become a member for the other email during the migration. By activating that id, you gain back control of your prior posts and files (as they are transferred). Then there are processes to merge that second id into the first, or vice versa - see https://groups.io/static/help#how-can-i-change-my-email-address

Adam

niknik99@...

Whilst I am relatively passive in terms on contributions I do value being a member of this group as I have learnt a lot over time so have just donated £2.50 toward maintaining an active group in transitioning over from Yahoo to groups.io.  As mentioned before I propose that we keep any balance in "reserve" in case another unexpected expenditure pops up. I would like to thank the folk(s) who are actually managing this transition and look forward to continued inter-changes.  Good luck to all involved. Nick

oskar@...

Thank you for this great project !

Peter

Ken Adams

Glad to see XtrackCAD has finally migrated. I apparently had a membership on Yahoo that has long been forgotten.  I will put my XtrackCAD subscription (use the subscription setting on the left panel) on daily digest and see what is cooking in your world.   Daily digest is the best setting unless you are in a hot conversation with another member of your group. As a subscriber, I think you will find Groups dot IO much easier to use as the software is up to date and there is no constant pounding with the constantly changing owners of Yahoo trying to make a back the money they overspent acquiring the platform.

I have been owner, administrator and moderator of a modest group plasticfreightcarbuiilders.groups.io since February 2018 and all I can tell you is that I have seen nothing to fear, loath or worry about with Group dot IO. The platform is stable and well maintained. Actual operations maintenance and platform ownership are in the silicon valley of California not Eastern Europe or India. The servers are in some cloud somewhere. Response time online for me at least has been very good. Outages are a minimum. Software updates are weekly applied on Saturday night and anyone can join the administration group and see what updates are being made and problems other users are having.

I have had only one or two spam problems and those were easily dealt with. The administrative tools are very easy to work with and handle problems.

rventura.57@...

Hi Adam.
A huge thank you for all the work you, and presumably Martin, have put into moving us to groups.io. It all seems to have gone well, although I suspect it might be like ducks on a pond: all the real work is going on under the surface.
And thanks to the two of you for the ongoing work on XtrackCAD, which goes from strength to strength. You’ve always been very accessible, and extremely responsive to any issues that are brought to your attention. The speed with which you apply fixes has always really impressed me.

Regards
Ron Ventura

On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 at 4:31 am, Adam Richards <adamjmrichards@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

Hayden_B

Thanks for the effort in moving the group and contents over to groups.io, particularly on short notice. I'm sure the majority will find it pain free to use.

Hayden.

Ian

Thanks to every body for discussing then many contributing then the admins doing the transferring and hey, we have a new home! Wow!

That is so cool to be away from Yahoo. I have some other forums I need to think about moving or letting whither but will probably just drop once I ransack the files which are mostly mine anway. Sigh.