Topics

New User Issues #Mac #HowTo #systemfontsize #retina

Ronald Cordes

I just started using XTrack. So far, I like it MUCH better than other RR modeling tools I have used. However, I have two issues I can't seem to solve.

1. When adding Parameter files, I cannot find anything for Atlas Code 100 HO. What am I not doing?

2. I am running under Mac OS-X 10.13.6 on a 27" iMac. My display is set down to 1920 because my eyes need the larger fonts. But Quartz shows the XTrack window with VERY tiny text sizes for Menus, etc, which I cannot read. See attached screen shot. How do I change this?

Dwyane Ward

1, look for HO-atl100ho.xtp

2. can not help not a MAC user.

Dwyane

Ronald Cordes

I can see the file HO-atl100ho.xtp (and all the expected files) if I look directly in /Applications/XTrackCAD.app/Contents/Resources/xtrkcad/params, but when I open the File > Parameter Files and click Browse, it doesn't show up in the list. Yes, I have HO gauge selected.

tynewydd@...

#2.  Mac -> the issue is that the XQuartz environment that is not scaling your font for the Retina display.

Option 1 that will work for all "challenging" apps and may be useful in general as we all age... :-(

Use the accessibility feature of Macs called Zoom. You can enable it in the System Preferences->Accessibility. I turned on the keyboard shortcuts (by default at least Opt+Command+"=" to Zoom in and Opt+Command+"-" to zoom out again.

Option 2 just for GDK/GTK apps

There is another setting that you can try to change in the settings for the XQuartz environment - the environment variable GDK_SCALE and set it to 2. To change it for launched Mac apps, you would use Terminal to run this command -

launchctl setenv GDK_SCALE 2

And then start XtrkCAD.  Note that this setting applies to all GDK/GTK apps you may have - and the effect will only last until the next reboot. This has the effect of changing the DPI used for fonts by telling GDK to double all DPIs.

There are other more complicated things you can do as well, but these simpler ones are more robust.

Hope one of those helps!

Adam

tynewydd@...

Sounds like you need to browse to it, then!!

The secret is that the directory you want (on Mac OSX) is INSIDE the application file - which is actually a package. So in Browse you select the "File System" (funky icon) and then go to "Applications" and then to "xtrkcad.app" and then "Contents" and the "Resources" then "xtrkcad" and then "params".

See attached screenshot.

Adam

Dwyane Ward

Assuming you have only loaded the HO-Atl100ho.xtp and set in "Layout" Scale to HO and gauge to "Std 16.5mm) then the paras should be showing. If you have other HO parameter files loaded too then try the scroll Arrows either end of the Hot Bar or right-click hotbar and select from the popup menu.

Dwyane

Ronald Cordes

Adam,

Using Finder, I can see into the 'params' directory you mentioned. No problem, all the Atlas HO files are there.

BUT, when I open File > Parameter Files in XTrack, the ONLY Atlas files I can see are the Code-83 TrueTrack file (AtlasTrueTrk.xtp) and the Atlas HO Structures file (HO-AtlasHOstruct.xtp). If I check "Show File Names," it verifies that Browse is looking into the XTrkCAD.app package contents.

It looks as though XTrack is not recognizing the other Atlas HO files as being HO files!

Please see attached screen shot.

Thanks,

Ron

tynewydd@...

Ron,
Due to the way that GTK File finder sorts file names (UpperCase before LowerCase), the file you want is not in the screenshot you sent but is AFTER all those. Scroll down, and it is after  "HO-WillsHOOOO.xtp" but before "HO-cmr-ho.xtp". Our naming convention has gone through a couple of revisions and unfortunately because the names are remembered by layouts it is not possible to impose a completely uniform system of names.

BTW - The finder does not discriminate and show only those files that are "correct" for the currently set scale/gauge. It always shows all files because it has no idea of the contents. XTrackCAD only knows when they are opened/loaded itself. The name is merely a hint to the "wetware" as to what may be contained!

There is a change under development to annotate after loading which of the files match (both scale and gauge, or one or the other) as an aid for understanding what will be displayed in the toolbar.

Adam

Ronald Cordes

Adam,

Thank you. As expected, it was a Cockpit Problem.

Ron