Topics

Time to move to Groups.io? #Group

Bill Lugg

I received this bit of info on another Yahoo groups list: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN31010.html?impressions=true. Seems like this could be a problem for the things we discuss here and would provide good incentive to move to groups.io, which is a far superior host environment, in my opinion.

Just a thought.
Bill Lugg

Shane Lambert

This is the last Yahoo group I belong to. Almost every other one has
moved to Groups.io. I recommend that as you can copy over the entire
history from this Yahoo group with a couple simple steps.

Shane Lambert
West Salem, WI
http://centertrak.org

On 10/15/2019 10:24 PM, William Lugg @luggw1 [XTrkCad]
wrote:
I received this bit of info on another Yahoo groups list:
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN31010.html?impressions=true. Seems
like this could be a problem for the things we discuss here and would
provide good incentive to move to groups.io, which is a far superior
host environment, in my opinion.

Just a thought.
Bill Lugg

https://www.avg.com

william

seconded.   I belong to several groups that have moved to groups.io   a couple also have facebook groups.   of the two groups.io is sperior.

regards,
Bill

tynewydd@...

Here's the issue, folks - it costs money.  Shock, I know -> "but it says its free" (actually it says "Freemium") - Since Feb this year groups.io has effectively been charging 100 dollars to migrate groups.  A forced, 1 year, premium subscription.  I discovered this as I was playing about with it today.

And, if you don't use their migration service, you are out-of-luck about having either your membership or your content (posts, files) transferred. You can't add the folks yourself (needs a premium membership, ;-) ), and you can't get the content over in any way I can find other than as individual members moving files but certainly no preservation of the archive.

Therefore, the question is, are we prepared to move house virally, leaving behind the messages here as an archive until such time as Yahoo decides to terminate them and throws away the storage, and have you guys migrate your own files as you feel led - so we can continue to be free?

Or maybe some kind person(s) is willing to help by donating?

Adam

Jeff Taylor

Thirded.  I'm also on groups that ditched Yahoo awhile back and
everything has been working great on groups.io.

jngeddes

Groups.io works for me.

Please not FaceBook.

On Oct 16, 2019, at 7:11 AM, butlerw@... [XTrkCad] <XTrkCad@...> wrote:

seconded.   I belong to several groups that have moved to groups.io   a couple also have facebook groups.   of the two groups.io is sperior.

regards,
Bill

jngeddes

If the $100 is one-time, I’m sure we could raise the $’s. Not sure of the easiest mechanism.
If the $100 is recurring annually, why not stick with Yahoo as long as possible.

On Oct 16, 2019, at 8:10 AM, tynewydd@... [XTrkCad] <XTrkCad@...> wrote:

[...]

Robert Heller

At Wed, 16 Oct 2019 08:11:54 -0500 XTrkCad@... wrote:

This is the last Yahoo group I belong to. Almost every other one has
moved to Groups.io. I recommend that as you can copy over the entire
history from this Yahoo group with a couple simple steps.
+1

Yes, please move from Yahoo to Groups.io!

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services

Robert Heller

At 16 Oct 2019 08:10:37 -0700 XTrkCad@... wrote:

[...]

Well, it is likely that before too long, I will end up resigning from the
remaining 2-3 Yahoo groups I am on, mostly because Yahoo has been
"threatening" various things that I am not interested in complying with. (As
an E-Mail admin and manager of some E-Mail lists, Yahoo is more hassle than it
is worth and whenever possible I encurrage people to move the E-Mail *off*
Yahoo.)

Or maybe some kind person(s) is willing to help by donating?

Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services
heller@... -- Webhosting Services

tynewydd@...

Well - so everyone is aware, "remaining" is not an option. ;-)

Yahoo has declared they are going to stop posting in a month and freeze and then remove all the file storage a month after that. So the group will be moribund at that point.

In answer to the other question I saw, the 100 dollars can be one-time, as long as we are prepared to live within the strictures of the free offering at the end of the year. This includes that, at that time, people have to ask to subscribe (we can't subscribe for them) and that we use less than 2GB of storage for all our "stuff".  This later rule will mean we have to impose limits on attachment size especially of images.

I think our archive being mainly text based, including our files, this is something we can live with.  We have other spaces for things like wikis and for our code repository.

If all are agreed, I'll float the boat on migration and let you guys help via PayPal, as you see fit - I already carved out the group id (its hidden at the moment). xtrackcad is the group name at the moment - which is the official name of the program since about V4....

Given the sudden rush, it won't surprise me if it takes a few weeks for groups.io to do the needful.

Adam

David McBrayer

Adam,
To whom should I direct PayPal to send my contribution?  Can’t pay all, but I can help a little.  And if the Admin ends up with more than $100, it is okay to keep my contribution and apply it to any other charges that may crop up.

Who else is ready to chip in?

Dave McBrayer
Castro Valley, CA

On Oct 16, 2019, at 09:27, tynewydd@... [XTrkCad] wrote:

Here's the issue, folks - it costs money.  Shock, I know -> "but it says its free" (actually it says "Freemium") - Since Feb this year groups.io has effectively been charging 100 dollars to migrate groups.  A forced, 1 year, premium subscription.
Adam

Alan Cox

On 16 Oct 2019 08:10:37 -0700
[...]

The other side of it to be careful with is that you don't necessarily
have consent from the other parties to copy their stuff over. I've been
involved in a couple of moves where that was a blocker (especially in the
EU).

Alan

Alan Cox

Therefore, the question is, are we prepared to move house virally, leaving behind the messages here as an archive until such time as Yahoo decides to terminate them and throws away the storage, and have you guys migrate your own files as you feel led - so we can continue to be free?

https://github.com/andrewferguson/YahooGroups-Archiver

has an archiving script which might be useful if someone wants to save
the old group somewhere.

Alan

Jeff Taylor

I agree -- if it's a one-time fee then I have no problem throwing some money at groups.io to allow for a seamless transition.

On 10/16/2019 10:46 AM, John Geddes jngeddes@... [XTrkCad] wrote:

[...]

I'm running this script now, 'just in case'.  Looks like there are 10785 messages archived.  The script information does not mention anything about copying data from the photos or files folders though, so that may need to be done manually.

On 10/16/2019 03:48 PM, Alan Cox alan@... [XTrkCad] wrote:

> Therefore, the question is, are we prepared to move house virally, leaving behind the messages here as an archive until such time as Yahoo decides to terminate them and throws away the storage, and have you guys migrate your own files as you feel led - so we can continue to be free?

https://github.com/andrewferguson/YahooGroups-Archiver

has an archiving script which might be useful if someone wants to save
the old group somewhere.

Alan

Bill Lugg

Another group I'm on, the SPng group, ran into the same issue regarding the fee.  Several of us chipped in a dollar or two via PayPal and the problem was solved.  The list owner even came out with enough money that the group was able to make a pretty good donation to the operation and maintenance of SP ng #18 in Independence, CA.  It could work here too.

Bill Lugg

On 10/16/19 9:10 AM, tynewydd@... [XTrkCad] wrote:
[...]

It seems to me if it's posted on a public site, which I believe we can say Yahoo Groups is, consent is implied. Once it's there the original poster has little control over what happens to it. Obviously, this doesn't extend to violation of copyright restrictions, but moving data from one site to another doesn't seem to me to cross that threshold.

And that's my ignorant non-legal opinion...worth what you paid for it. ;o)

Bill Lugg

On 10/16/19 3:40 PM, Alan Cox alan@... [XTrkCad] wrote:

On 16 Oct 2019 08:10:37 -0700
[...]

David Bromage

I agree. Migrate the entire group and its history to groups.io.

Cheers
David

David Bromage

$100 isn't that much. Happy to chip in a bit via PayPal.

Cheers
David

Bill Lugg

As am I, but we need to know the address to send $$ to via PayPal.

Bill Lugg