Topics

Time to move to Groups.io? #Group

Jeff Taylor

I wasn't able to find a script to make a backup of the files folder so I did it manually.  Whew that was a lot of work!  Unfortunately I haven't captured the original dates of the files, but the other pertinent information should be there.

http://sourpuss.net/XTrkCad/Files/

Bob Schabel <bobschabel@...>

THANKS, JUST SENT IN $5.00

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 9:32:59 PM CDT, tynewydd@... [XTrkCad] wrote:

So I have set up a paypal.me address.

https://paypal.me/xtrackcad?locale.x=en_US

Any extra over the 100 dollars I paid, I suggest we send to The Great Central Railway Trust. I had the wonderful experience of a driving day there recently wandering up and down the line from Loughborough to Leicester driving and firing a restored loco towing 8 carriages between the different stations, observing the signals and so forth with my family as my victims (ahem) non-paying passengers. Thoroughly recommended. They are rebuilding the bridge over the Midland main line which will allow them to almost double the dual track mainline length (only preserved mainline in the UK)

Adam

pete callamaras

THX...…...

On Thursday, October 17, 2019, 10:16:14 AM CDT, Jeff Taylor Shdwdrgn@... [XTrkCad] wrote:

Groups.io is similar to what Yahoo groups provides and will create a nearly seamless transition for hosting this discussion.  A lot of other discussion groups have already dumped Yahoo in favor of Groups.io because Yahoo has started taking a heavy-handed approach to what used to be a free service.

If you're interested in *why* this is happening, Verizon bought out Yahoo a few years back, and Verizon has been cutting down all of the services everyone has been using at Yahoo.  You may have heard about the problems with Yahoo chat -- Immediately after purchasing Yahoo, Verizon gutted the chat system and made it completely unusable (and this chat had one of the largest user bases in the world), and now it looks like they are doing the same to Yahoo Groups.

On 10/17/2019 07:39 AM, pete callamaras fantummrc1@... [XTrkCad] wrote:

Where and waht is groups.io?
On Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 8:27:15 PM CDT, Ron Ventura rventura.57@... [XTrkCad] wrote:

According to Yahoo, there are some 5600 members in this group. Obviously a number of them will be inactive, and others will be unwilling or unable to contribute, but surely with this many members we can scrape together enough funds to migrate, and to set up a fighting fund to cover ongoing costs as they arise. Like others have said, i'm willing to chip in a few bucks.
Regards

Ron Ventura

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 at 10:41, d_mcbrayer@... [XTrkCad] <XTrkCad@yahoogroups...com> wrote:

Adam,
To whom should I direct PayPal to send my contribution?  Can’t pay all, but I can help a little.  And if the Admin ends up with more than $100, it is okay to keep my contribution and apply it to any other charges that may crop up.

Who else is ready to chip in?

Dave McBrayer
Castro Valley, CA

On Oct 16, 2019, at 09:27, tynewydd@... [XTrkCad] <XTrkCad@...> wrote:

Here's the issue, folks - it costs money.  Shock, I know -> "but it says its free" (actually it says "Freemium") - Since Feb this year groups.io has effectively been charging 100 dollars to migrate groups.  A forced, 1 year, premium subscription.
Adam

Darrell Brownlee <darrellbrownlee5@...>

Sent $10.00 this morning,  Glad to help out, I want to thank Adam and everyone involved in Xtrak please keep up the good work.
I would vote to move to io.groups as far as the excess money what ever the group thinks is best Im good with
Darrell

Jeff Taylor

The script got blocked last night, and is still blocked today.  I'll keep trying to pull the content, but I do have nearly 7000 messages now.

I'm also manually grabbing files.  This won't include the comment on each file, but at least they'll be saved.

On 10/16/2019 04:12 PM, Jeff Taylor Shdwdrgn@... [XTrkCad] wrote:

I'm running this script now, 'just in case'.  Looks like there are 10785 messages archived.  The script information does not mention anything about copying data from the photos or files folders though, so that may need to be done manually.

On 10/16/2019 03:48 PM, Alan Cox alan@... [XTrkCad] wrote:

> Therefore, the question is, are we prepared to move house virally, leaving behind the messages here as an archive until such time as Yahoo decides to terminate them and throws away the storage, and have you guys migrate your own files as you feel led - so we can continue to be free?

https://github.com/andrewferguson/YahooGroups-Archiver

has an archiving script which might be useful if someone wants to save
the old group somewhere.

Alan

Jeff Taylor

[...]

darrellbrownlee5@...

I sent $10.00 this morning, best money I have spent in along time.  First I would like to see us at io.groups as well.  Next I want to thank you Adam and everyone else whom make XTrak a possibility,  I've been using this for well over 5 years now and consider myself still learning but what a great tool for me in the planning of my layout.  Please keep up the excellent work.

Darrell
ps any extra funds can go were you wish

Toolfox

On 10/17/19 6:09 AM, dwyaneward@... [XTrkCad] wrote:

$10 US send

Dwyane

I just doubled that.

$20 US donated to the cause...

Joe

rventura.57@...

+1 to keeping the excess for future contingencies.
Regards
Ron Ventura

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 at 9:33 pm, niknik99@... [XTrkCad] <XTrkCad@...> wrote:

I am happy to chip is as well but also support David's notion above of "saving" any over payment and keeping it toward future maintenance and/or over-coming any other future changes/improvements rather than giving away to what I am sure is a good cause (but we all have similar good causes I'm sure).

Nick (in mid-Wales)

--
Regards

Ron Ventura

Dwyane Ward

$10 US send

Dwyane

niknik99@...

I am happy to chip is as well but also support David's notion above of "saving" any over payment and keeping it toward future maintenance and/or over-coming any other future changes/improvements rather than giving away to what I am sure is a good cause (but we all have similar good causes I'm sure).

Nick (in mid-Wales)

CustomDeSigner ; D. Brelsford

I will donate $10 US dollars come the first week of nov. When I get paid. Where do I have paypal pay it to?
 Dennis Brelsford, customhitcher.
Thanks

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 7:27 PM, Ron Ventura rventura.57@... [XTrkCad]
wrote:

[...]

$5.00 AU paid to your Paypal account. Thanks for paying the 100.00 up front on trust.
Regards

Ron Ventura

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 at 13:54, David Bromage david@... [XTrkCad] <XTrkCad@...> wrote:

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 at 12:32, tynewydd@... [XTrkCad]
<XTrkCad@...> wrote:
> Any extra over the 100 dollars I paid, I suggest we send to The Great Central Railway Trust.

Or save it for another year of Freemium service?

Cheers
David

Russell Shilling

This is from a different group, but applies to all Yahoo Groups if correct. I can’t verify this.

“Hi friends, this message is specially for the Admins. Though Yahoo didn't notify groups owners in written, I see there's a box saying:
- after October 28th messages can no longer be posted thru the site (only by e-mail), and some functions will be restricted.

- Yahoo will delete all groups on December 14th
I am administrator in other groups and plan to backup them, preferably in a browsable format. This group also deserves being saved. If someone has the right steps to do that, I will greatly appreciate them.

Kind regards”

Best Regards,

Russell Shilling

http://shilling-or.com

David Bromage

<XTrkCad@...> wrote:
Any extra over the 100 dollars I paid, I suggest we send to The Great Central Railway Trust.
Or save it for another year of Freemium service?

Cheers
David

Jeff Taylor

For what it's worth, the info I read today said that Yahoo plans to shut down all uploads on October 28th, less than two weeks from now.  So we're definitely in a bit of a crunch as far as that goes.

As for storage space... According to the files page under our current Yahoo group, we already have a limit of 2GB, of which there appears to only be 96MB in use.  Shouldn't cause any concern but if storage space becomes a problem, I have around 30TB free on my servers and redundant web services running, which could always be used as a storage space for 'old' files.

On 10/16/2019 01:28 PM, tynewydd@... [XTrkCad] wrote:

Well - so everyone is aware, "remaining" is not an option. ;-)

Yahoo has declared they are going to stop posting in a month and freeze and then remove all the file storage a month after that. So the group will be moribund at that point.

In answer to the other question I saw, the 100 dollars can be one-time, as long as we are prepared to live within the strictures of the free offering at the end of the year. This includes that, at that time, people have to ask to subscribe (we can't subscribe for them) and that we use less than 2GB of storage for all our "stuff".  This later rule will mean we have to impose limits on attachment size especially of images.

I think our archive being mainly text based, including our files, this is something we can live with.  We have other spaces for thi ngs like wikis and for our code repository.

If all are agreed, I'll float the boat on migration and let you guys help via PayPal, as you see fit - I already carved out the group id (its hidden at the moment). xtrackcad is the group name at the moment - which is the official name of the program since about V4....

Given the sudden rush, it won't surprise me if it takes a few weeks for groups.io to do the needful.

Adam

tynewydd@...

So I have set up a paypal.me address.

https://paypal.me/xtrackcad?locale.x=en_US

Any extra over the 100 dollars I paid, I suggest we send to The Great Central Railway Trust. I had the wonderful experience of a driving day there recently wandering up and down the line from Loughborough to Leicester driving and firing a restored loco towing 8 carriages between the different stations, observing the signals and so forth with my family as my victims (ahem) non-paying passengers. Thoroughly recommended. They are rebuilding the bridge over the Midland main line which will allow them to almost double the dual track mainline length (only preserved mainline in the UK)

Adam

Toolfox

Same here. Need Paypal Address. Willing to put in a significant part of the needed funds.

Joe

On 10/16/19 8:21 PM, William Lugg luggw1@... [XTrkCad] wrote:

As am I, but we need to know the address to send $$ to via PayPal.

Bill Lugg

rventura.57@...