Topics

Poll: What platform/OS and HW do you use? #poll

Hi,
We want to quickly survey what people are using XtrkCAD on these days both in OSes and HW. This helps us understand our communities equipment capabilities and needs. If you can, please select an OS and HW. (If you have more than one type, answer for all your uses at once).

If the results are confusing we may ask follow-up questions to the board!!  I publish the results after we have a significant response.

Thanks
Adam

Results

David Evers

I think this is a bit confusing.  Was there ever a Windows 9?  Is a Laptop/PC ... different than Windows ...?   Are these choices also valid for MacOS people, or jusnthose running Windows and Linux? What about 32 bit versus 64 bit?

Perhaps restart and separate hardware: age and bitness, perhaps RAM too; from OS.

--
David P. Evers
--

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 5:42 PM, Adam Richards
<adamjmrichards@...> wrote:

A new poll has been created:

Hi,
We want to quickly survey what people are using XtrkCAD on these days both in OSes and HW. This helps us understand our communities equipment capabilities and needs. If you can, please select an OS and HW. (If you have more than one type, answer for all your uses at once).

If the results are confusing we may ask follow-up questions to the board!!  I publish the results after we have a significant response.

Thanks
Adam

1. Mac OSX Catalina
2. Mac OSX Mojave
3. Mac OSX High Sierra
4. Mac OSX 32-bit only (pre High Sierra)
5. Windows 10
6. Windows 9
7. Windows 8
8. Windows pre V8
9. Linux Ubuntu
10. Linux Debian
11. Linux Other
12. Laptop/PC 2018+
13. Laptop/PC 2016-2018
14. Laptop/PC 2012-2016
15. Laptop/PC 2005-2012
16. Raspberry Pi
17. Other HW

Vote Now

Robert Heller

At Fri, 25 Oct 2019 14:42:02 -0700 main@xtrackcad.groups.io wrote:

[...]

CentOS 6 on the x86_64, Raspbian on the Raspberry Pi.
12. Laptop/PC 2018+
13. Laptop/PC 2016-2018
14. Laptop/PC 2012-2016
15. Laptop/PC 2005-2012
Laptop 2008, Desktop about the same vintage
16. Raspberry Pi
Several Raspberry Pis
17. Other HW

Vote Now: https://xtrackcad.groups.io/g/main/vote?pollid=7952

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services

Adam Richards

thanks for the feedback

Amended - the lack of a W9 has escaped ne.

Laptops and PCs are not synonyms for Windows - there’s people running Linux and OS X on these form factors as distinct say from a raspberry pi (or a mainframe).  Knowing the age of the hardware gives us a reasonable read on cpu speeds. And that has recently been an issue.

I want to know what systems we most need to test for and what os levels are widely in use.

I get the idea that memory would be academically interesting - but we aren’t stressing that - the driver for memory size is layout complexity and unless we have a leak our needs are modest compared to the OS or a browser, for instance.

I added HW: to the labels to show what I was asking about.

Nick

Does no one use desktops / towers nowadays?

On Sat, 26 Oct 2019 at 08:48, Adam Richards <adamjmrichards@...> wrote:

thanks for the feedback

Amended - the lack of a W9 has escaped ne.

Laptops and PCs are not synonyms for Windows - there’s people running Linux and OS X on these form factors as distinct say from a raspberry pi (or a mainframe).  Knowing the age of the hardware gives us a reasonable read on cpu speeds. And that has recently been an issue.

I want to know what systems we most need to test for and what os levels are widely in use.

I get the idea that memory would be academically interesting - but we aren’t stressing that - the driver for memory size is layout complexity and unless we have a leak our needs are modest compared to the OS or a browser, for instance.

I added HW: to the labels to show what I was asking about.

--
Nick Meredith
nick.meredith@...

Adam Richards

Updated to make sure that the HW obviously includes desktops and towers. Really its "how old is your machine?"

David Evers

Is it really "How old", or "What CPU"?  You could have a very new, probably less costly, machine with the lowest end processor, causing more problems than my four year old laptop which had the highest end processor at the time.

--
David P. Evers
--
E-mail: eversdp64@... | dpevers@...
Twitter: @dpevers
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-evers/23/2a9/6a3
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/72252619@N00/
Facebook: David Evers
Program Director, Knights of Columbus Council 16561 - St. Angelo Giuseppe Roncalli
Worthy Grand Estimator Emeritus, Alpha Rho Chi Fraternity
Treasurer, Demetrios Control Corporation
Life Cycle Assessment Certified Professional
--
Increasing the entropy of the Universe and invoking chaos--daily. No charge!

At Sat, 26 Oct 2019 00:48:04 -0700 main@xtrackcad.groups.io wrote:

thanks for the feedback

Amended - the lack of a W9 has escaped ne.
Laptops and PCs are not synonyms for Windows - there's people running
Linux and OS X on these form factors as distinct say from a raspberry pi (or
a mainframe).  Knowing the age of the hardware gives us a reasonable read
on cpu speeds. And that has recently been an issue.
It is also worth noting that with Linux, *effective* processor speed and
effective available RAM is somewhat variable -- eg an older machine (slower
processor/fewer cores, less RAM), may actually be *faster* if running a
"slimmer" incarnation of Linux (including a slimmer desktop environment). This
is less possible with MacOSX or MS-Windows, since these two O/Ss pretty much
mandate a certain level of desktop environment and are somewhat less
configurable.

I want to know what systems we most need to test for and what os levels are
widely in use.

I get the idea that memory would be academically interesting - but we
aren't stressing that - the driver for memory size is layout complexity
and unless we have a leak our needs are modest compared to the OS or a
browser, for instance.
Hardware age will yield a rough idea of the amount of RAM.

At Sat, 26 Oct 2019 10:04:30 +0100 main@xtrackcad.groups.io wrote:

Does no one use desktops / towers nowadays?
I think "Laptop/PC" implies both Laptops and desktops. (Maybe: Laptop/Desktop
would be better and less confusing?)

@OldNick

--

At Fri, 25 Oct 2019 21:55:11 +0000 (UTC) main@xtrackcad.groups.io wrote:

I think this is a bit confusing.  Was there ever a Windows 9?  Is a
Laptop/PC ... different than Windows ...?   Are these choices also valid
for MacOS people, or jusnthose running Windows and Linux? What about 32 bit
versus 64 bit?
M$ skipped Windows 9 (no idea why).

"Laptop/PC" is a *hardware* selection. I believe this is just a check on
hardware *vintage*. (eg How old is your desktop (PC tower, MacMini, iMac,
whatever) or laptop (MacBook, or "PC" laptop).

At Sat, 26 Oct 2019 11:55:32 +0000 (UTC) main@xtrackcad.groups.io wrote:

Is it really "How old", or "What CPU"?  You could have a very new, probably
less costly, machine with the lowest end processor, causing more problems
than my four year old laptop which had the highest end processor at the
time.
For most people, I expect "How old" is going to be suffiecent for purposes of
this poll. (Yes, there are going be "edge cases", like you mentioned and some
*clever* Linux users are going to be able to get better performance from lower
end hardware by how they have configured their Linux machine.)

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services
heller@... -- Webhosting Services

Alan Cox

Not sure I understand why anyone cares about the age of a machine.

A 2019 atom is slower than a 2012 i5, my main box is 2011 era but it'll
kick the butt of most current desktops because it's an old dual socket
xeon 8)

ALan

Chuck

On 2019-10-26 11:10 a.m., Robert Heller wrote:
At Fri, 25 Oct 2019 21:55:11 +0000 (UTC) main@xtrackcad.groups.io wrote:

M$ skipped Windows 9 (no idea why).
Think about Windows 9 in German ...

Chuck

Radgoate

Actually,

MS didn’t produce a “Windows 9” (went from W8 to W10) because they’d already had Windows 95 and 98 and some existing software just checked for W9<anything> and would have got confused....

On 26 Oct 2019, at 20:57, Robert Heller <heller@...> wrote:

At Sat, 26 Oct 2019 11:55:32 +0000 (UTC) main@xtrackcad.groups.io wrote:

Is it really "How old", or "What CPU"? You could have a very new, probably
less costly, machine with the lowest end processor, causing more problems
than my four year old laptop which had the highest end processor at the
time.
For most people, I expect "How old" is going to be suffiecent for purposes of
this poll. (Yes, there are going be "edge cases", like you mentioned and some
*clever* Linux users are going to be able to get better performance from lower
end hardware by how they have configured their Linux machine.)

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services
heller@... -- Webhosting Services

Adam Richards

Alan,
Originally I had wanted to just ask about clock speed (as a lot of the program is single-threaded or effectively so but we would start multi-threading more in V6) , but then I realized I have to ask about cores and sockets and then...  You'll see why below.

So it was my (possibly wrong) thought that our average users would probably not want to do the digging to find out that stuff and the list would be extensive-exhausting . So I thought the easiest thing would be to ask age (as mostly people know that) and use that as a gauge of most likely what sort of stuff we are dealing with looking at OS levels and hardware ages as a combo.

I think what I see is that we have mostly an up to date OS set (with some pockets of older OSX stuff probably because of hw compatibility).  And we have a lot of equipment that is a few years old but not especially so (with likely the same pockets of older equipment).

To show you how the rubber hits the road, the recent question is - should we spend a lot of time tuning main-line draw performance during editing or do we have some cycles to burn (which makes the job simpler <-> just redraw everything). These are all tradeoffs. While it is certainly good to be efficient, we want to make sure we are spending time on coding the right stuff (and testing during dev on the right sorts of boxes for the majority).  And I wanted to get a rough handle on where we are in the refresh cycle - which we have done. I was surprised that we are on average as almost current as we appear to be, frankly.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to be mean about older kit or its capabilities - i actually thought it might be the norm.  And (being an ex-Hursley, CICS performance eng on big iron myself) I certainly get the multi-core, multi-socket, sometimes things have gone sideways in clock-speed but better overall conversation!  I was certainly guilty of over-dumbing down the conversation for some users.  Sorry about that.

Adam

Chris Kenyon

Well, if you had asked about clock speeds etc you would have got at least one less response - not over-dumbed as far as I was concerned, just made sensibly simple.

An average user :-)

He Ro

On 10/25/19 11:42 PM, Adam Richards wrote:
A new poll has been created:

Hi,
We want to quickly survey what people are using XtrkCAD on these days
both in OSes and HW. This helps us understand our communities equipment
capabilities and needs. If you can, please select an OS and HW. (If you
have more than one type, answer for all your uses at once).

If the results are confusing we may ask follow-up questions to the
board!!  I publish the results after we have a significant response.
I'm running Slackware Linux 14.2 (in fact I'm the guy maintaining the
xtrkcad-Slackbuild at
https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/office/xtrkcad/?search=xtrkcad )
both on my Desktop, which has a 2010 first generation i5, and on my
Laptop, which has a 2011 second generation i5.

(Sorry for not logging onto the groups.io website for this, I'm mostly
using the eMail interface)

Heiko

--
eMails verschlüsseln mit PGP - privacy is your right!
Mein PGP-Key zur Verifizierung: http://pgp.mit.edu

Adam Richards

Heiko,

Dankeschön for what you do for our users.  I know there is a German discussion SourceForge email group already in existence - if there is interest we could make that into a subgroup here which might increase its accessibility and popularity.

Grüße,
Adam

Adam Peszel

I am running a custom build with an AMD FX chip with an nVidia Quadro card, OS is Windows 7, and 32GB RAM. This machine was built for running CAD software, so it is a bit heavy on the hardware compared to most users.

He Ro

Adam,

you're welcome, but it's nothing - I'm just trying to give a little
something back, with all you guys making such an effort to keep xtrkcad
so great :)

I don't know of a German discussion group, but if/when I run across it,
I'll keep your offer in mind.

Heiko

On 10/28/19 12:46 AM, Adam Richards wrote:
Heiko,

Dankeschön for what you do for our users.  I know there is a German
discussion SourceForge email group already in existence - if there is
interest we could make that into a subgroup here which might increase
its accessibility and popularity.

_._,_._,_