Topics

Exporting image files #v5dot2

Robert Scott

I am afraid this is going over my head, but it is such an appealing idea I would like to figure it out.

Can I attach Google earth shots of a particular feature and bundle the images with the track plan in a shareable way?
How??
Optimum would be links, on a separate layer for the viewer to click on, which would open the image in a new window, enabling the viewer to toggle between the two.

Should we start a new string??

On Thursday, January 30, 2020, 9:45:08 a.m. EST, Ian <ilox11@...> wrote:

Adam, if you really wanted to prove the need for compression in layouts, and keeping Wales as the theme, try putting together a plan of the Barry Island Port Terrminal. That is enough to keep you awake shivering at nights LOL

I am so looking forward to being able to put an image under my plans so that I can get a good feel for the original. What I would like to do is get the round bits right for the Bernina Loop. Yeah. Sigh. So cool.

On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 at 19:04, Adam Richards <adamjmrichards@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Robert,
Links with URLs are already included in the V5.2 code - thanks to Martin. You can double-click on them and the default browser window for your platform opens as you might expect. Any URL the browser supports will therefore work - not just images.

My own contribution was to take an image (either a jpg, png or bmp) and use it in a read-only manner as a background.  The features include offset and rotation of the image, and setting the width to be a certain size in "layout inches/cm". This ensures it zooms with the layout. And of course that field also accepts a prototype dimension. In addition, there is a screen % function that can reduce the image saturation to enable easier tracing. I have used this in test to import a .jpg of an old scale map of Bethesda in North Wales and created a layout by placing the tracks to scale over the map. This proved that I don't have the room for a model of even this long-gone branch-line terminus without a lot of compression!

Also included is a new form of zip packaging support of arbitrary files together with the layout into one file which can then be used for things like backgrounds, manifests or notes, etc, keeping everything together as one file.

-- Ian