Topics

New feature in V5.2: Links #v5dot2

Martin Fischer

Robert,

in fact it is quite easy: You navigate to the shot you want to share in Google Earth. From the address bar you copy the URL to the clipboard eg.

https://earth.google.com/web/@48.99469675,8.40561152,119.39563751a,153.48086931d,35y,0h,0t,0r

and paste into the new Link Note in XTrackCAD.

Alternative would be to create a screenshot with you favorite tool and link to the local file.

Easier to use than to explain ;-)

Regards
Martin

Am 30.01.2020 um 16:46 schrieb Robert Scott via Groups.Io:

I am afraid this is going over my head, but it is such an appealing idea I would like to figure it out.
Can I attach Google earth shots of a particular feature and bundle the images with the track plan in a shareable way?
How??
Optimum would be links, on a separate layer for the viewer to click on, which would open the image in a new window, enabling the viewer to toggle between the two.
Should we start a new string??
On Thursday, January 30, 2020, 9:45:08 a.m. EST, Ian <ilox11@...> wrote:
Adam, if you really wanted to prove the need for compression in layouts, and keeping Wales as the theme, try putting together a plan of the Barry Island Port Terrminal. That is enough to keep you awake shivering at nights LOL
I am so looking forward to being able to put an image under my plans so that I can get a good feel for the original. What I would like to do is get the round bits right for the Bernina Loop. Yeah. Sigh. So cool.
On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 at 19:04, Adam Richards <@tynewydd <mailto:@tynewydd>> wrote:
[Edited Message Follows]
Robert,
Links with URLs are already included in the V5.2 code - thanks to
Martin. You can double-click on them and the default browser window
for your platform opens as you might expect. Any URL the browser
supports will therefore work - not just images.
My own contribution was to take an image (either a jpg, png or bmp)
and use it in a read-only manner as a background.  The features
include offset and rotation of the image, and setting the width to
be a certain size in "layout inches/cm". This ensures it zooms with
the layout. And of course that field also accepts a prototype
dimension. In addition, there is a screen % function that can reduce
the image saturation to enable easier tracing. I have used this in
test to import a .jpg of an old scale map of Bethesda in North Wales
and created a layout by placing the tracks to scale over the map.
This proved that I don't have the room for a model of even this
long-gone branch-line terminus without a lot of compression!
Also included is a new form of zip packaging support of arbitrary
files together with the layout into one file which can then be used
for things like backgrounds, manifests or notes, etc, keeping
everything together as one file.
-- Ian

Robert Scott

Everything is easier once you've done it.
LOL