Topics

RESOLVED: XTrackCAD 5.1.2a, MacOS X and Multiple Displays #Mac

Joe Gelinas

I have been having a few problems with XTrackCAD 4.3.0, so I decided to upgrade. I've installed 5.2.1a, twice even, and I can't get it to work with two displays. I'm running MacOS 10.14.6, Mojave. I have a Samsung 24" display and a Sony UltraHD TV. I have them configured as separate displays.

The main window for XTrackCAD is only visible on the television. As recently discussed, I can grab the main window's title bar, drag it to the Samsung monitor and use the XQuartz "Zoom" function to shrink it down. HOWEVER, the map window is already on the Samsung display, but it's invisible. If I move the Tip of the Day window, it also becomes invisible; it doesn't seem to matter where I move it to: on either display it becomes invisible. Interestingly, both sub-windows are still present. If I move the cursor over either of them, I get messages like "No Help" (on the map) and "Useful information about the program" (on the tip window). Both the Map and the Tip windows appear briefly if I minimize XTrackCAD.

If I try to exit XTrackCAD without saving, the program hangs. I've figured out that it's because the closing dialog box isn't being displayed. However, the <ESC> key won't trigger the "Don't Save" button.

Note that 4.3.0 worked with both displays. It would only show up on the "main" monitor, the 24" Samsung.

Gelinas.
(Ofttimes called "Joe")

Adam Richards

Joe,
Thing to Try - if you right-click on the XQuartz icon "X" can you select the daughter windows?  And once you do, can you close them with either a button or the red close dot?

The modal model of windows does have some challenges at times. And at least one window was not wired up for close in V5.1.2.

I not sure what you mean by "they are invisible" and "but if I mouse over them" -> is the frame visible, or how else do you know where they are?

Adam

Joe Gelinas

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 9:05 PM Adam Richards <adamjmrichards@...> wrote:

Joe,
Thing to Try - if you right-click on the XQuartz icon "X" can you select the daughter windows?  And once you do, can you close them with either a button or the red close dot?

 I can select the daughter windows from the XQuartz "Window" menu, but that doesn't make them appear.

The modal model of windows does have some challenges at times. And at least one window was not wired up for close in V5.1.2.

I not sure what you mean by "they are invisible" and "but if I mouse over them" -> is the frame visible, or how else do you know where they are?

I find out where they are by mousing around until the cursor changes. Unfortunately, I don't know the geography well enough to find the red "close" dot.

I've attached two screen shots, showing the two displays. I've also attached a copy of my XTrackCAD.rc file. Note that in the second screen shot, only half of the Tip of the Day window is visible. The other half is on the main display, and thus not visible. The Map window is roughly under the Time Machine icon on the menu bar, near the bright spot in the clouds.

Gelinas.

Joe Gelinas

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 8:52 PM Joe Gelinas <gelinas@...> wrote:
I have been having a few problems with XTrackCAD 4.3.0, so I decided to upgrade. I've installed 5.2.1a, twice even, and I can't get it to work with two displays. I'm running MacOS 10.14.6, Mojave. I have a Samsung 24" display and a Sony UltraHD TV. I have them configured as separate displays.

{Ellipsis. JLG.}

Note that 4.3.0 worked with both displays. It would only show up on the "main" monitor, the 24" Samsung.

Turns out that the problem was present in version 4.3.0. It just didn't manifest because of the way I used the program.

Searching the web for XQuartz and multiple monitors turned up the suggestion to go in to System Preferences and set Mission Control to NOT use separate spaces for the displays. I unchecked that box, logged out and back in, and the windows for XTrackCAD Version 5.1.2a show up. I can even move them across monitors and not have them disappear.

Thank you for your time and effort, Adam.

Gelinas.