Topics

Beta 5.2: Error creating a Curve from Chord #Bug #v5dot2

Ian

Hi, another problem working in Beta. I was trying to create a Curve from a Chord to bridge these two tracks. Instead of red lines I giot a strange error message followed by a strange outcome.

https://youtu.be/-IO7Mlrm700 shows what happens.

I am also regularly getting an error message, "Check Pointer".

Oh, and why is the program locked to starting with Colour Track and Colour Draw set to "Items" when I keep setting it to "Layers"?

Adam Richards

Ian,
If you can start raising Bugs on the SourceForge system, it would be helpful to keep track so we don't forget stuff.

CheckPointing is not an error - it is a status message - the code is trying to write a checkpoint which is a normal function. The window is supposed to auto-close, though, so perhaps there is something going wrong with that.  The checkpoint will take longer with larger layouts (and of course if you have your directory on a network drive) but usually it should be quick. You can control how often it happens with Options->Preferences->CheckPoint this says how many actions you take before a checkpoimt. The risk is a failure that loses you up to that number of actions on restart.

There is obviously a problem with the Chord tool - looks like it got confused about state and is doing what it would do on the second point on the first and the other end is at the origin. I'll look at that.

But in addition, you WILL be disappointed with the result in your case even when it works properly. The reason is Euclid. The angles of a chord between any two points is are not arbitrary and so unless you happen to hit the jackpot, they will not fill a gap in a way that makes the end angles work for existing racks. The chord will always have the center of the curve at right-angles to the bisector and the ends will be at 90 degrees to the radius.  99% of the time that will not suit two tracks you already have in situ

To do what you want here, Join Track is the function you should choose.  You can ensure that no easements are used -> None, or go for Cornu (I'm biased, of course).

Fix for Color settings applied.

Can't get the Chord issue to reproduce. What did you do immediately before it in the Track Curve creation arena?  I think it must be left over state. I'll read the code carefully for un-initialized state.

Aha - it is actually a user error - you are clicking on the end rather than down->drag-out-the-end->up.

But the code should reject zero-length attempts. Fixed.

Thank you, Adam, I didn't think it was going to work so I was just playing around to see if it was one option. So I clicked on the end. Obviously I didn't then start to drag so it ended up with a Zero-length track. Doh!

I can see that I need to either convince those set pieces to fit better or else change my mind as to where that other line will go. All good fun.

Again, many thanks.