Topics

is XtrackCad 5.1 incompatible with Kubuntu 20.04 [Qt]? #HowTo #Bug #systemfontsize #linux

robgrune@...

I installed Xtrack from the Ubuntu repository: smoothly, no errors for the install.
But when I open the app in Kubuntu [which uses Qt], the menu bars are microscopic small and fuzzy. Entirely illegible to read.
Using terminal, are there any options I can invoke to configure the app to show the menus in a readable manner?
Thank you.

My system:
Operating System: Kubuntu 20.04
KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.68.0
Qt Version: 5.12.8
Kernel Version: 5.4.0-40-generic
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 6 × AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
Memory: 31.3 GiB of RAM

The menu and button texts can be enlarged using techniques I outlined in a previous post using a gtk parm file.

As you are a Linux user - the instructions are these - (Mac is different at V5.1.2 because of the packaging).

Create a .gtkrc-2.0 file in your user home directory and have its contents something like this -

style "user-font" {
    #font_name = "Lucida Grande 12"
    font_name = "Lucida Grande 18"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"

#gtk-font-name="Sans 12"
gtk-font-name="Sans 18"

You can fine tune the fonts and the font sizes as suits you.

The hotbar labels are a lost cause - I would turn them off and rely on the hover popup labels that are scaled when the menu text is.

The menu icons are not scalable in V5.1.2 - but in the next Beta of V5.2.1 they will be - by up to 2x.

Adam

robgrune@...

Could someone please explain how to install and invoke the 5.2 beta release for Linux ?
Thanks.

Adam Richards

<<I am by no means an expert - but I wanted to see how far I could get using a Ubuntu VM.  As of right now, we don't have a volunteer sufficiently versed in Ubuntu or Debian to build DEB packages, AFAIK.  So I had to use the RPM package instead.  I'm sure that others will have better ideas - but I did achieve a measure of success like this. >>

---------

I installed from the rpm file on Ubuntu 18.0.4 as follows.

Downloaded the rpm from SourceForge with FireFox - it placed it into Downloads

Opened up a Terminal window.

Using Terminal, I installed alien, switched to my Downloads directory, and used it to convert the rpm package into a deb package (replying "Y" when needed).

sudo apt-get install alien
cd Downloads
sudo alien xtrkcad-setup-5.2.0Beta1.0-1.x86_64.rpm

I then used dpkg to install the new deb file that alien created

sudo dpkg -i xtrkcad_5.2.0Beta1.0-2_amd64.deb

Then I installed the pre-reqs using apt-get
sudo apt-get install libzip-dev
sudo apt-get install libwebkitgtk-1.0

I found where the xtrkcad had been installed
dpkg -L xtrkcad
On my system that was under /storage/.. so I went there
cd /storage/source/MR/xtrkcad/sf/v5.2-Beta1/install/bin
then I ran xtrkcad
./xtrkcad
There were a few errors for things we have fixed in Beta2 (I hope) but it started OK.

I'm not clear about how the program should be invoked from the desktop rather than via the Terminal - I'm sure there is a way, I just don't know it.

About QT versus GTK styles please see - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Uniform_look_for_Qt_and_GTK_applications

So I installed the gnome-tweaks app
sudo apt install gnome-tweaks
I then found "tweaks" as a app started it and used it to set the theme and the font sizes. This automatically updates the .gtkrc-2.0 file, I believe.

Dave has kindly posted a DEB file now - so the instructions using "alien" above are not needed.