Topics

exporting xtrck file to JMRI #jmri

Darrell

Adam, Success in creating and xml file.  thank you for help.  the last time I tried to run terminal application was on a TRS80 so the curve for me was steep.  Your help sent me in the right direction and after inputing the right info (hint do not copy the instructions literally as the word "path1 and path2" are not recognizable.
I'm off now to learn JMRI.
Darrell

Darrell

Adam this is just the information I need thank you I will spend some time tomorrow working on this,
thanks
Darrell

Adam Richards

Darell,
Clicking on the downloaded file will not work as you discovered as it is a Java app (like most of JMRI internally, in fact, although they have packaged the main parts up as executable applications that can be opened normally).

First, in case you don't know - these sort of commands are typed into the Terminal application that is part of Windows.  So you need to open that app.

Second, this command means that you must already have Java (strictly at least a JRE <-> Java Runtime Environment) installed. You can test that by just typing in "java" to the Terminal and hitting Enter and seeing what response you get back. If that doesn't seem to do anything at all (not found response), go to https://java.com/en/download/ and install Java runtime.

Note - The path1 and path2 in the command above would be substituted with the directory paths for where the reader and the layout (.xtc) file are placed respectively.  You can save yourself some typing by placing them both in the same directory and using "cd" in the Terminal to go to that directory before running the command.

Adam

Darrell

Thanks Adam, Ive looked at  most of that info and will read it again but I guess my problem is I can not seem to open the xtrkcadreader on my pc.  I double click it and nothing responds, from the instructions it says to type in" java -jar path1. XtrkCadReader.jar path2.inputfile [options]"  and I just can not figure out where to do that.  I guess my problem is more a computer user problem and was hoping someone could help me through this.

thanks Darrell

Adam Richards

Darrell

just wondering if anyone can help me changing a .xtc file to .xml using xtrkcadreader, I have the reader file downloaded on to a PC but from there I'm lost.  I've also asked for help on the JMRI groups page

thanks
Darrell