Maximum and Minimum Radius #HowTo

twfavor@...

Hello again, What are the largest radius's that a 4" wide and 6" wide can handle?
Thanks in advance for your feedback. 

Chris Kenyon

I'm not entirely sure I understand the question, but if you are thinking of two 4" or 6" shelves meeting in the corner of a room, and you want a 90 degree turn in that corner, then with the track straight centrelines 1.5" in from the outside edges of the shelves, the max radii are around 8.5" using 4" shelves and 15" for 6" shelves.  Depending on scale, you might be able to move the straight tracks out a bit further and gain up to an inch in each case.

scenicsRme

HUH? Question doesn't make sense, would need more detail to give an answer.

twfavor@...

OK, lets try this again. I'm designing a track layout on a 4' x 6' panel and wanted to know what the largest track curve the 4' end width will accommodate. The reason for this question is I keep getting thin red curved lines no matter what smaller curve is inputted even an 18" curve shows this red line when I attempt to do a point to point junction. I think there's something wrong in the setup to constantly set thin red lines instead of track, but I have no idea what.
Help?

Tom Fetherston

I believe it means the track you are drawing is sharper than the minimum radius setting in layout options. To set this go to the menu item options->layout and you will see a setting for min track radius.

From: main@xtrackcad.groups.io <main@xtrackcad.groups.io> On Behalf Of twfavor via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2021 5:25 PM
To: main@xtrackcad.groups.io
Subject: [xtrackcad] TRACK CURVES

OK, lets try this again. I'm designing a track layout on a 4' x 6' panel and wanted to know what the largest track curve the 4' end width will accommodate. The reason for this question is I keep getting thin red curved lines no matter what smaller curve is inputted even an 18" curve shows this red line when I attempt to do a point to point junction. I think there's something wrong in the setup to constantly set thin red lines instead of track, but I have no idea what.
Help?

Nick

4' rather than 4" clears the confusion. So, 48", which would allow 24" radius, less an inch to fit the track onto the board, 23" radius.
Let's say 22" radius for safety.

Now. I'm guessing you're drawing about a 22" radius curve, and the question isn't really "does this fit?" but 8s "why does it show a thin red line?"

The answer is that in your layout settings you can set a minimum radius for your layout as a whole, and any curves you draw at under that radius will show up as an exception. What value you put in will depend on your rolling stock - but let's say you set it to 18". In that case 22" radius would not show as an exception

On Tue, 11 May 2021, 23:23 twfavor via groups.io, <twfavor=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Help?

scenicsRme

Ok, now we are getting somewhere, but there are still a couple more important specs needed to give a definitive number answer. I.e.: Depends on scale of your layout and track type. Scale because curves are specified at the track centerline, so the curves for larger scales will be reduced in curve radius to fit within the board width. Track type because sectional track comes in a limited number of radii therefore the largest radius possible may be restricted by track availability.
I believe the thin red line is the track centerline, valuable if you do a full size print to place on your board, you only need to transfer the centerline to your board. You can turn the display of the actual rail positions along with the ties (either outlined or solid filled ties) by checking the appropriate check boxes or buttons in the "OPTIONS" >display  menu. I would suggest you carefully go thru all the submenus under "options" as there are a lot of useful selections hiding in them. Place a few pirces of track, and see what effect each has. For example under OPTIONS >layout you can specify either your room or board dimensions (on a simple rectangular layout setting it to board size may be more desirable unless you want to make sure you have sufficient walk around space), the scale, the minimum radius and maximum grade you want to use (the program will allow you to place a smaller radius or steeper grade than limited specified, the out of spec track will change color to your specified "exception" color to alert you. You can then decided to adjust it or allow it.)
Most first timers are anxious to start putting down track and don't set up the many useful options. You can go back and add or change any of them at any time.
There are also a lot of help , tutorials, and examples available in the HELP menu.

Chris Kenyon

Twfavor: All the options scenicsRme is talking about are described in the version of the User Guide Adam gave you a link to in your first thread:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xtrkcad-fork/files/XTrackCad/Version%205.2.1/XTrackCAD%20User_s%20Manual%205.2.1a.pdf/download

Adam et al:  I think it would be really helpful if this link featured prominently on the home page of the wiki.  I know (now) it's in a list of files you see in passing as you go through the download process, but most people will miss it then, and it's very hard to find later on.  And I know you can get to it bit by bit via "help", but only if you know what to ask for ....

Adam Richards

It is an aim of mine to have the PDF manual in a "well-known" place. Due to current vaguries of the documentation system we use, it can't be auto-produced at the moment, which means it is hard to package into the code distros itself. I think the Wiki may be a good jumping off place so I have added a link on the home page.