Topics

Beta 2.1 Released

Jacques

Hello,

Just two small remarks :
With version 5.2.0beta1, under Windows 10, when you save the current layer and then reopen it, the size of the main window and the presence of the background image are not saved.

Best regards,

Jacques G.
France, Cugnaux 31270

--
Jacques

Jacques

Sorry,

With version 5.2.0beta2.1,

Jacques G.
France, Cugnaux 31270

Le 31/08/2020 à 13:46, j.glize@... a écrit :
Hello,

Just two small remarks :
With version 5.2.0beta1, under Windows 10, when you save the current layer and then reopen it, the size of the main window and the presence of the background image are not saved.

Best regards,

Jacques G.
France, Cugnaux 31270

--
Jacques

Jacques,
The background image is stored in the parameter files (not the layout). The values are flushed to disk when the Layout options window is closed, or when the preferences are otherwise saved including when the Layout itself is saved or the program is exited normally.

The background values are reloaded only if the checkpoint is used on startup if a "traditional" .xtc layout file is used.  If no checkpoint exists, for example, or the user choses to ignore it, or a new layout file is used, the values are not restored.

But - if you are using the layout archive format .xtce (where the layout and the background image are stored together in a zip file format) loading that filetype will cause the background to be restored as the image file in the archive.

Window Size not being restored has been a recurring issue that has seen some bug fixing.  But, at least on GTK it seems to be working for me as long as I save the layout after resizing and before restarting.  I am running at V5.2 BSF - but I dont think we changed this since the Beta 2. Can you see if it still fails after a Save?

But there seems to be a bug here in that if the file is an .xtc, and there is no checkpoint file to work with because the file was just saved and not enough subsequent changes were made, the loadfile() code wipes out the old background values as it is loading the file and the restore code then has no background to work with.....

It seems the state of "we decided to reload the last file in use" should override the initialize the background values (or at least the save of them).

OK - Issues found and fixed -

1) If there was no active checkpoint selected when loading the prior file at startup, the background would be reset.
2) CheckPoint/AutoSave was not being run when a command is "Sticky" but only at "Reset". This means that big sequences of changes could be added/changed without any checkpoint (and therefore also no autosave) until another command was selected or Esc was pressed.  For Beta2 users, making sure to use Esc, change command or force a Save periodically is a good idea.

Not sure about the window sizing yet, but I suspect that if it was done after the background, and there was no save or clean exit at least, #2 would apply as the values would not be saved.

Adam, on my laptop, (HP Folio)running Windows 10) when XTrkCAd (5.2.1 Beta 2) opens it will open in an almost full screen even though it is set to open in Maximised. If I double click on the top of that window it goes back to about a half-screen window. Double-clicking again will give me the full maximised screen. Is this the same problem that has been reported?

On Tue, 1 Sep 2020 at 05:37, Adam Richards <adamjmrichards@...> wrote:

OK - Issues found and fixed -

1) If there was no active checkpoint selected when loading the prior file at startup, the background would be reset.
2) CheckPoint/AutoSave was not being run when a command is "Sticky" but only at "Reset". This means that big sequences of changes could be added/changed without any checkpoint (and therefore also no autosave) until another command was selected or Esc was pressed.  For Beta2 users, making sure to use Esc, change command or force a Save periodically is a good idea.

Not sure about the window sizing yet, but I suspect that if it was done after the background, and there was no save or clean exit at least, #2 would apply as the values would not be saved.

-- Ian

Adam Richards

Ian,
Maximized state is saved if/when a preferences save happens.  It is then used on restart to maximize the window "on next show".

My first suggestion is to look in the .ini (windows) or .rc (linux/mac) file in the working directory and see if the "draw" "maximized" value is 0 or 1. If will be spelt

[draw]
maximized=1

or

draw.maximized: 1

If it is 0 - the most likely thing is that you did not cause a save - which happens when the layout itself is saved. You could also try changing it to 1 and restarting.

The whole question of when to save preferences is a bit fraught at the moment. If we save on every update of values we would end up ahead of the layout that will be recovered.  So today it is only at saves - and that includes AutoSaves now we have that feature. This means often the last changes to values will not be recovered unless the user forces the issue and saves.

Adam