Topics

Beta 2 - Input Error and then crash! #Bug

Ian

Running Beta 2.1 on a Windows 10 system.
Last few days been getting an Input Error on starting. Looks like the attached picture.
So today I started it up and thinking that it was mentioning the KATO parameter file I answered Yes to the Three errors, then Selected File >> Parameters.
When I clicked on the first KATO Parameter file the program suddenly shut down. AAARRRRGGG!!!
Have attached the current file and the screenshot just in case it helps.

--
-- Ian

Robert Gerald

Ian (and Adam),
If you read the info on the error screen, it shows that the beta is pointing to your 5.1.2 version, not to the beta version.  I think this is an area that needs to be changed.  Each version of XtrakCad should use its own pointers and not use a common set.  It makes it very hard to switch back and forth between versions, especially when there are significant changes between the two.
Bob Gerald

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 5:53 PM Ian <ilox11@...> wrote:
Running Beta 2.1 on a Windows 10 system.
Last few days been getting an Input Error on starting. Looks like the attached picture.
So today I started it up and thinking that it was mentioning the KATO parameter file I answered Yes to the Three errors, then Selected File >> Parameters.
When I clicked on the first KATO Parameter file the program suddenly shut down. AAARRRRGGG!!!
Have attached the current file and the screenshot just in case it helps.

--
-- Ian

Ian

Thanks, Robert, I didn't spot that. Maybe I need to 'salt' a set of the parameters at that location until this is resolved?

On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 at 10:25, Robert Gerald <rfgerald3@...> wrote:
[...]

Adam Richards

Actually, the way this is supposed to work (now Beta 2) is that if the program sees a param file that was open in the product params library, at startup it will try to substitute the current level params library seamlessly.  This was to cope with the very type of error here where an error would be fixed with the latest version. The problem here, though, is that the kato-N.xtp file at v5.1.2a has been renamed to N-Kato.xtp at some point for v5.2.0 Beta2. So that logic won't work to get past this as intended.

I'll let the team decide if we need a conversion table or logic of some sort to find the right file, or if that rename is causing more harm than good - especially now we have Martin's lookup code to find param files by their Content field.

The CheckPaths() code was added and is performing more checks than it used to - to try ensure that all track segments are in at least one path.  That is the warning error here.  I'd have to guess that problem was fixed for N-Kato...

The terminating error is most likely something else in that old file that is not in accordance with the latest level.  Did you get an actual error message before shutdown?

Hi Adam, I have tried to copy and rename the files back to the originals but that doesn't seem to work. I have also tried to set the system so that it starts with a new clean trackplan. Unfortunately it sticks at the Tomix N parameter. Sigh.

No, there was no warning, just no program. Gone in a Flash!

On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 at 11:54, Adam Richards <adamjmrichards@...> wrote:
[...]

The parameter files list that will be read at startup is held in the Xtrkcad.ini file (.rc for Mac/Unix) in the working directory. It’s a text format file - in there will be the names of the files that were loaded as values. Deleting the line that contains the errant file should remove the problem. In the limit renaming that file will reset all the values of all the settings and remove all the files.

I’ll look later today into reproducing the issue that is actually causing the failure.

Adam

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 8:10 PM, Ian <ilox11@...> wrote:
[...]

1. kato-n.xtp has some definitions where the path statement is incorrect. It would not work well in Train mode. There are track segments not in path statements.  These have been corrected in N-Kato Track & Structures.xtp

2. The reason the auto-upgrade did not work is twofold. The name is changed (which should have resulted in a "Not Found" with an "OK" button) and crucially that I forgot that Windows uses "\" instead of "/" as a path delimiter....  I have a fix for that.

3. The abend is different. I can't get that to happen with V5.2 forced to load the V5.1.2a file - I get the usual CheckPaths() "Path error" messages and life goes on - at least on Mac.  So that remains a mystery - perhaps Martin can try to reproduce?

Adam

Martin Fischer

Ian,

sorry but I can't reproduce that problem with 5.2 on Windows 10 either.

Regards,
Martin

Am 26.08.2020 um 16:36 schrieb Adam Richards:

1. kato-n.xtp has some definitions where the path statement is incorrect. It would not work well in Train mode. There are track segments not in path statements.  These have been corrected in N-Kato Track & Structures.xtp
2. The reason the auto-upgrade did not work is twofold. The name is changed (which should have resulted in a "Not Found" with an "OK" button) and crucially that I forgot that Windows uses "\" instead of "/" as a path delimiter....  I have a fix for that.
3. The abend is different. I can't get that to happen with V5.2 forced to load the V5.1.2a file - I get the usual CheckPaths() "Path error" messages and life goes on - at least on Mac.  So that remains a mystery - perhaps Martin can try to reproduce?

Ian

Thanks for trying gents. My steps were to try to get the system to Unload a param. All was Ok till I clicked OK and then it just flashes off the screen. Instant shutdown.

Following your advice, I hacked into the config file and removed all traces of parameter headings. So far so good.

I have sent the most recent drawing with the original post so maybe that shows something that I have not been able to track down? Maybe.

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 at 02:09, Martin Fischer <Martinfischer8@...> wrote:
Ian,

sorry but I can't reproduce that problem with 5.2 on Windows 10 either.

Regards,
Martin

Am 26.08.2020 um 16:36 schrieb Adam Richards:
> 1. kato-n.xtp has some definitions where the path statement is
> incorrect. It would not work well in Train mode. There are track
> segments not in path statements.  These have been corrected in N-Kato
> Track & Structures.xtp
>
> 2. The reason the auto-upgrade did not work is twofold. The name is
> changed (which should have resulted in a "Not Found" with an "OK"
> button) and crucially that I forgot that Windows uses "\" instead of "/"
> as a path delimiter....  I have a fix for that.
>
> 3. The abend is different. I can't get that to happen with V5.2 forced
> to load the V5.1.2a file - I get the usual CheckPaths() "Path error"
> messages and life goes on - at least on Mac.  So that remains a mystery
> - perhaps Martin can try to reproduce?

--
-- Ian

Adam Richards

Ian,
You said the magic word - "Unload".

Found a problem with param files that include Adjustable Track - wrong assumption made - trying to free storage starting at zero - system abend due to addressing negative memory...

Fix pushed.

Adam

scenicsRme

I'm still getting crashes whe working with parallel lines, both creating and modifying after creating. Yes, I wish it gave a warning that it did something illegal and gave an opportunity to save, but as said, you click on something(???) and POOF! you're staring at your desktop. When you restart the program it asks if you'd like to continue, but what comes up is usually a number of operations in the past, which is aggravating in itself when you've been working to perfect a line path, say, but it also drops the layers labels (keeps numbers and colors), you have to go back into manage layers to restore them and the most irritating for me is it restarts at less than full size so the status bar doesn't show. You have to minimize the screen, then maximize it to restore it to full size to make the status bar visible again. Note, these are observations not complaints since they have work arounds.

On 8/27/20 10:35 AM, Adam Richards wrote:
Ian,
You said the magic word - "Unload".

Found a problem with param files that include Adjustable Track - wrong assumption made - trying to free storage starting at zero - system abend due to addressing negative memory...

Fix pushed.

Ian,
None of those terminations should happen - likely the issue is not a user error but a system error.

To diagnose we either need a methodological summary (first this, then this) or we need a dump/stack trace to see the offending code.

For the first type, a video would do.

To get better restart - set the checkpoint frequency to 1 - and the auto save to 1 or 2.

The labels should be saved when the tracks are saved - so either auto save or explicitly save should make sure that are saved correctly. We might insert an extra save after leaving manage layers, I guess.

Adam

wrote:

Ian,

You said the magic word - "Unload".

Found a problem with param files that include Adjustable Track -

wrong assumption made - trying to free storage starting at zero -

system abend due to addressing negative memory...

Fix pushed.

scenicsRme

OK, I don't know how to produce a live video of my screen in W 10, or how to produce a dump/stack trace. If someone can walk me thru either or both (and I can remember exactly what I did just before the POOF...) I'd be glad to provide that information. Most likely to happen when modifying the path of line 2 created from paralleling line 1, since line 2 is an offset copy of line one (and attributes of the pins in line 1 are not copied)  it usually requires modifying when creating roads.

The one feature I'd really like to see is the ability to split lines like you can tracks to create road intersections and while at it, an easier way to add pins to a track (An "add pin" selection on the right click menu in modifying lines/tracks?).

Thanks again for all your hard work!

Could someone please walk me thru downloading and installing Xtracks (with latest Beta) on my linux mint v.19.1 desktop computer as I would really like to work on my desktop and large monitor than on my small laptop running win 10. Plus I could get the laptop and it's second mouse off my desk.

wrote:

Ian,

You said the magic word - "Unload".

Found a problem with param files that include Adjustable Track -

wrong assumption made - trying to free storage starting at zero -

system abend due to addressing negative memory...

Fix pushed.

There is a split line command already waiting for the next beta/release.

I use a free software called loom that both creates the Desktop video and hosts it in the cloud. You download and install. The how to videos I produce are all loom.

Ok - so you are editing the polyline - what sort of things are you doing - deleting nodes, adding nodes, moving nodes? Changing properties of the points Perhaps? In which case are you using the context menu or the  text shortcuts? Or perhaps Closing polygons, joining polyline?

Are the nodes in question at the end of the polyline, or next to the end or in the middle somewhere?

Maybe if we narrow down what is the general type of operation you are doing I can induce the failure.

Adam

wrote:

Ian,

You said the magic word - "Unload".

Found a problem with param files that include Adjustable

Track -

wrong assumption made - trying to free storage starting

at zero -

system abend due to addressing negative memory...

Fix pushed.

BTW - In Linux the debug command is called "gdb".

You start it in a terminal window and then run the binary for xtrkcad under it. The procedure is to "cd" to the right folder/directory where xtrkcad is and then issue  "sudo gdb xtrkcad".  Then at the gdb prompt you enter "r" (for run).

Everything will be as normal and you can try and induce the issue in the UI.

When an abend occurs the program will stop (if you get a message box like "Guard0 hosed" then you can use Ctrl+c in the terminal window to stop it while the message is showing). Then you issue "bt" (for backtrace) and you will get a listing that shows us what modules were calling what modules and where and we can often do better than that in understanding the cause of the crash.

 Adam