Topics

sticky Big Sur - be careful with XQuartz at 2.8 (latest level) #Mac

There are reports from our users that OSX (Mac) Big Sur with the latest XQuartz does not work (startup stalls). We have not tested this level of OS or XQuartz - having no equipment at any level to do so.  We have certainly not tested on any hardware emulating x86 as the new macbooks can do.  So unfortunately it is an unknown situation.

There is a bug currently open with XQuartz https://github.com/XQuartz/XQuartz/issues/102 that lists this symptom for all X11 apps (like XtrackCAD).

Some X11 users on that site have reported that downgrading XQuartz to 2.7 on Big Sur fixed the issue (for them). The level should be available from xquartz.org.  If you need to do this, please remember that you need to logoff/logon after installing XQuartz (a reboot will do this as well). This allows XQuartz to reset some environmental values in your userid, notably the value of the DISPLAY= variable.  The display is the way the GTK code gains access to the screen, which may therefore be significant.

Note - There may be other important things to do to clean up an old installation before applying a new one depending on how the xquartz was installed since it can be via the .dmg file as we suggest, or it can come via homebrew or macports.

A user (who may post soon after he has tested more) mentioned elsewhere that XTrackCad started for him with a window when he used the Beta3 version of the latest XQuartz (available from the xquartz website).  He hadn't had time to fully test yet though, so "caveat download-or".

It seems the Release Candidate level included a large number of dependent library upgrades - and so may be rough.

Adam