Topics

Bitmap export unusable for Gn3 railroad #HowTo #iconsizes

Russell Shilling

In my Gn3 railroad plan, when I select Bitmap Export, the size is 25254 by 36139 pixels - 912.7Mb. I probably won't be using that feature much!

Perhaps add a scale factor to that dialog?
--
Russell Shilling
http://shilling-or.com

Adam Richards

It's a bitmap, and so it is uncompressed, and as though you looked at the whole layout in one screen at FULL SIZE. You'll find a setting on that page (dpi) that sets up a way of scaling already. The default is 10.00 dpi - so that can be large for a large layout which might be 20ft square or more. Try setting it to a lower dpi.... The program will tell you the output size.

Alternatively, I write it as quite/very large and then compress it into a jpeg and throw away the bitmap using a graphics program (or Preview on Mac), that retains a very large image for viewing or printing, but reduces the storage immensely (most areas in a layout are mono-chrome, which compresses very well).

Once we are in GTK3, directly writing out in a variety of formats may be easier.

I should add that official program feature requests are added using

https://sourceforge.net/p/xtrkcad-fork/feature-requests/

Please remember to logon before Creating the ticket, as otherwise it will be moderated - which can take a time as there is notification system....

Adam

Russell Shilling

Mine defaulted to 30 dpi. Setting it to 10 dpi did the trick.
--
Russell Shilling
http://shilling-or.com