Topics

Corrupt xtq file? #Parameter

Robert Scott

It appears that there is a problem with the xtq file, in that when I start up, the parameter files from last session do not load and I get an error message. When I open the library, I get another error message saying," Scale on2 1/2 not valid, please check your xtrkcad.xtq file." The layout scale is properly set to HO.

What more can I tell you? Thanks.

I think the issue is that the definition for on2 has changed so that it lines up with the O family properly.  (to “On2” perhaps- note upper case O). Let me see the .xtc and I’ll see what’s up. If I’m right we can simply change the scales in the xtc.

Adam

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 5:55 PM, Robert Scott via groups.io <sparky1bob=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
It appears that there is a problem with the xtq file, in that when I start up, the parameter files from last session do not load and I get an error message. When I open the library, I get another error message saying," Scale on2 1/2 not valid, please check your xtrkcad.xtq file." The layout scale is properly set to HO.

What more can I tell you? Thanks.

I have a fix that looks for lowercase if no uppercase matches exist so with that the older .xtc files would be read ok and upgraded on next save.

I also found that the grouping of gauges under scales did not work so well for scales with (xx) in them (EU), (Fine) etc. So I fixed that also in a second fix.

The bypass for now with 5.1.2a is to do a Find and Replace for all " on2 "s in the .xtc with a text editor and make them into " On2 "s.  (Obviously save it as a copy and then have xtrkcad open that).

Adam

Robert Scott

It would appear that the choice of scale in the options/layout menu is not reflected in the parameter dialogue. I understand that, as designed, it will not load parameter files on start if the scale of the layout doesn't match the scale of the parameter file. There was a typo error when I transcribe the error message, changing the upper case O to lower case.
Bob

On Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 05:17:38 a.m. EST, Adam Richards <adamjmrichards@...> wrote:

I have a fix that looks for lowercase if no uppercase matches exist so with that the older .xtc files would be read ok and upgraded on next save.

I also found that the grouping of gauges under scales did not work so well for scales with (xx) in them (EU), (Fine) etc. So I fixed that also in a second fix.

The bypass for now with 5.1.2a is to do a Find and Replace for all " on2 "s in the .xtc with a text editor and make them into " On2 "s.  (Obviously save it as a copy and then have xtrkcad open that).

Robert,
Can I get a copy of the .xtc file in question, please?  I can then test to see what is actually going on.

Actually, I may need to look at the custom parameters file xtrkcad.cus from your working directory and as well.

It is odd, then but I am wondering, now I look carefully about a "On2 1/2" because I can't find that anywhere in our source. Could that be something someone has added as we don't seem to have it.. We treat the space as significant in the name - so On21/2 or On2-1/2 (or even On2.5) would be a better choice.  I agree it is odd if all you have is HO, but that string in the scale position of a definition must definitely be coming from somewhere.

Adam

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 6:36 AM Robert Scott via groups.io <sparky1bob=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Now I get part of the issue - this is actually a religious naming war .... http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/143939.aspx

It turns out that On2 1/2 is what most people (and by far the largest manufacturer of scale "stuff") call On30.  But there are folks who want to call it "O n two-and-a-half" and they believe the others are wrong (and vice versa) based on On2, On3, etc.

So here's the issue - we could add a On2-1/2 identical to the On30.  But we have six parm files for On30 and none for On2-1/2. So there's a dilemma for you - as we are trying to help folks find and build it would seem obvious that we HAVE to have On30. If we add On2-1/2 we might soothe some folks, but we would be adding confusion later when newbies try and find suitable parms.

At any rate, the issue is not lower vs upper case!!

Adam

knorosow

Adam,
to add even more confusion, in continental Europe this gauge is named
"Oe". Rails are the same 16.5mm/0.65in, but scale varies: 1:48 in the US
and Australia, 1:43.5 in the UK and France, for the rest of the European
continent it's 1:45. In the UK, some people use O16.5 to name it.
Furthermore sometimes the "O" is displaced by "0".
For newbies, to get out of this swamp it may be useful to add a wiki
page with a comparison list of all names used in parameter files and
their matchables. If You think this to be helpful for beginners, i would
try to compile such a list.
-knorosow

Am 06.01.21 um 20:24 schrieb Adam Richards:

[...]

Jane Sullivan

On 06/01/2021 19:24, Adam Richards wrote:
/*Now*/ I get part of the issue - this is actually a religious naming war .... http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/143939.aspx <http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/143939.aspx>
It turns out that On2 1/2 is what most people (and by far the largest manufacturer of scale "stuff") call c.  But there are folks who want to call it "O n two-and-a-half" and they believe the others are wrong (and vice versa) based on On2, On3, etc.
So here's the issue - we could add a On2-1/2 identical to the On30.  But we have six parm files for On30 and none for On2-1/2. So there's a dilemma for you - as we are trying to help folks find and build it would seem obvious that we HAVE to have On30. If we add On2-1/2 we might soothe some folks, but we would be adding confusion later when newbies try and find suitable parms.
At any rate, the issue is not lower vs upper case!!
Adam
Can you make On2-1/2 and On2 1/2 aliases for On30?

Best wishes
--
Jane Sullivan
Beckenham

Rob Pearce

On 06/01/2021 20:50, knorosow wrote:
In the UK, some people use O16.5 to name it.
In the UK, most narrow gauge scales are referred to that way - without the "n", just the scale name and the gauge of the model in millimetres. But it wouldn't be a real "thing" if the UK and US didn't disagree on what it's called :P

Adam Richards

Yes. Please!!
I started something similar in a post to the development sub-group - - https://xtrackcad.groups.io/g/development/topic/notes_on_scales_and_gauges_in/78482791?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,78482791
These were notes I used to add more scales surrounding O and S.

Just now I have
  1. Added On2-1/2 as a scale with identical settings to On30.
  2. From your input, I have added to the scale equivalences -

SCALEFIT TURNOUT EXACT On2-1/2,Oe(EU),On16.5 On30

which means any of these lefthand scales will see On30 as a perfect fit for parameter files.

I have not gone to the extent of creating 0s as well as Os.

There is code when searching parm file contents titles to change user input from "00" to "OO", "H0" to "HO" and "0" to "O".

But someone who really knows this stuff writing some info in the wiki would be ideal.

Adam

Robert Scott

Appears Norton will not let me copy and paste xtc files. Their help section contains nothing but offers to buy more software. The owners of Semantic are not putting their customers first, but instead limit the approved software to companies they are affiliated with. Their mission statement does not include supplying quality, functional software. Save your money.

On Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 12:09:35 p.m. EST, Adam Richards <adamjmrichards@...> wrote:

[...]

Joost van der Waa

Hi Robert,

Just to understand what is going wrong: if you post a reply and try to attach a .xtc-file via the paperclip, you can either drag and drop, or you can browse for a file.
Neither of these functions work?
If so, please stop Norton for a short moment (it should offer that option somewhere) and try again.

Otherwise I would suggest to remove Norton completely and switch to a more user friendly (and less resource hungry) anti virus tool (like the free Avast or alike).

Joost

Radgoate

Robert,

Sadly, you have hit the nail on the head....

There is only one group of people who benefit from the proliferation of computer viruses and malware - those who sell the ‘solution’ to the problem they created.... 😡😡😡

On 8 Jan 2021, at 13:18, Robert Scott via groups.io <sparky1bob@...> wrote:

[...]

It is a normal text file. So you could rename it to .txt, or even open it with a text editor and copy and paste the contents into a new .txt and paste that.
Adam

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 5:23 AM Robert Scott via groups.io <sparky1bob=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

K. Thanks, If Norton were functional, ...

Bob

On Friday, January 8, 2021, 10:39:24 a.m. EST, Adam Richards <adamjmrichards@...> wrote:

[...]

Good info. Thanks.

Bob

On Friday, January 8, 2021, 09:54:34 a.m. EST, Joost van der Waa <register@...> wrote:

[...]

OK that layout file does not contain any references to other than HO scale.

I think it must either be in one of the param files you are loading at startup (names are taken from in the xtrkcad.ini file) or the custom parms you have (in the xtrkcad.cus file).

First you can try unloading all parm files and then looking at all the entries in Manage->Custom Designed Parts - and Deleting any you don't need. Save and then try restarting.

Adam