Topics

Does a custom parameter file need to be included with an exported .xtc file.

Milt Perkins

Group,

I belong to a club that is building an extension to the current layout. I'm the designer of the layout on paper using XTrackCad. I will be exporting copies of the .xtc file to a "group.io" group.  In the past I have exported the layout in .pdf form for approval. A couple of new member use XTrackCAd and want to view the file.

The .xtc file will have items in the parameter list that I have drawn and use. The other users will not have a copy of this list on their computers

I guess my question is "Does an .xtc file carry the information pulled from the parameter files (i e a building drawn for this layout and saved). This question comes from my CAD day where a newer version file might not show a feature when opened with an older version.

Adam Richards

In short, yes. The .xtc file does not depend on parameter file contents, the elements are all copied/cloned into the layout.

Adam

Joost van der Waa

In addition to the answer of Adam: the current beta release is using a slightly different format for the .xtc files.
This means that once this version goes public and you move to that version, you friends have to use the same version too.
However, there is no problem in reading older files from a previous version.

Phil in gorgeous Young Harris

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 02:22 AM, Adam Richards wrote:
In short, yes. The .xtc file does not depend on parameter file contents, the elements are all copied/cloned into the layout.
Am I correct in thinking that the other person reviewing the design can see everything just like the original designer (who has all the parameter files), but modifications to the drawing may require those files?

--
Phil from gorgeous Young Harris, Georgia, USA
Digitrax, HO, WiThrottle, Arduino

Joost van der Waa

100% correct

Adam Richards

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 08:37 AM, Phil in gorgeous Young Harris wrote:
Am I correct in thinking that the other person reviewing the design can see everything just like the original designer (who has all the parameter files), but modifications to the drawing may require those files?

Only if the modifications needed are to add/replace or augment with (new) elements from the parm files.  Moving or Deleting existing elements, or Joining, or Adding flexible track elements, or Draw elements, etc - can all be done without needing the original parm files.

Note that many parm files are shipped as part of the product - so it is only those that aren't which could be an issue. The format of parm files is text - so if needed they could be emailed, for example.

And if there are parm files with generally useful elements that we do not already ship inside the distro, we are always open to donations!!

Adam

Milt Perkins

Group,

Thank you to all that responded.

If you would like to see the club layout as it is now go to www.shorttrackrr.org. If your ever in north San Diego county look us up 10am to 4pm on all Saturdays. The current layout was designed with XTrackCad 12 years ago by someone else.