From: Dave Bullis <sillub@...>
Date: 10/10/20 14:49 (GMT-05:00)
To: main@xtrackcad.groups.io
Subject: [xtrackcad] Linux Beta 3 has been updated

I've rebuilt and uploaded the current version of v5.2 to sourceforge.
I've also updated the Readme to explain how to work-around the libzip4 lib problem

The HotBar does not support drag and drop (never has). Reasons are complex and besides the point right now.

How to use it -

  1. Select an object in the bar.  (Left-Click and release) <the selected item is boxed in Grey>
  2. Move cursor to the Layout (you can drag here but it doesn’t do anything which is why you are confused).
  3. Left-Click again on the surface <the cloned object appears in red>

- You can now left-click and drag to reposition the object.
- Right-drag or Ctrl and left-drag rotates the object
- Shift and left-click for a turnout selects a different endpoint to snap onto other track
- To accept the object hit Space <object drawn normally>

- Another left click on the layout adds another clone like #3.
- Esc rejects both the selected and cloned object and resets the command so no objects are selected. Selecting another command button has the same effect.

Incidentally, you can also add using the Add->Predefined Track window; which you might find more natural and gives you a visual of which endpoint is selected.

in Train mode,  the “click to select”, “move cursor to layout”, “click on layout and drag to place” above works the same way for Cars.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Adam. I was sure that we used to have drag-n-drop but appreciate the quick-torial on the right usage.

On Sun, 11 Oct. 2020, 7:39 am Adam Richards, <adamjmrichards@...> wrote:

The HotBar does not support drag and drop (never has). Reasons are complex and besides the point right now.

How to use it -
- Select an object in the bar.  (Left-Click and release) <the selected item is boxed in Grey>
-Move cursor to the Layout (you can drag here but it doesn’t do anything which is why you are confused).
- Left-Click again on the surface <the cloned object appears in red>
- You can now left-click and drag to reposition the object.
- Right-click and drag rotates the object
- Shift and left-click for a turnout selects a different endpoint to snap into other track
- To accept the object hit Space <object drawn normally>

- Another left click on the layout adds another clone.
- Esc rejects the selected object and resets the command so no objects are selected.

incidentally you can also add using the Add->Turnout window, which you might find more natural and gives you a visual of which endpoint is selected.

in Train mode,  the “click to select”, “move cursor”, “click and drag to place” works the same way for Cars.

Hope that helps.

Adam, I was right - if I understand the concept of Drag and drop from the Hotbar then we had it and we still have it so now I am way past confused. Can you bring some clarity, please?

11 October 2020 - Isn't this Drag-n-drop? - Watch Video

On Sun, 11 Oct 2020 at 10:48, Ian via groups.io <ilox11=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

-- Ian

Adam Richards

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 7:11 PM, Ian <ilox11@...> wrote:
[...]

Let me restate, We don’t have drag and drop in the way users expect and we have never had.

Drag and drop means you click on an object in one place and drag (without releasing) onto another part of the screen and release the button. The impressive part is that the source and target are two different Windows or even applications. As you do this the new object is under your cursor all the time and as you release it is now either a copy of the original (depending on the product you use). Many products have this behavior. Some of us remember when Windows introduced it - it felt like voodoo.

What we have between the hotbar and the drawing surface is select, move, select (and then drag).

BtW - The reason we don’t is that the combination of windowing APIs we use (right now) do not support this without having to implement multipolar versions.

The hotbar and the draw surface are two different widgets in gtk and two Windows in Windows. When the mouse is dragged it does not remember the click in the other window/widget and appears as a simple mouse movement. The button is pressed but the click was not registered so the code doesn’t do what is nemeses.

Adam

Chris Kenyon

Oh the joys of undocumented (?) features......  6 years I've been swearing quietly at XTC's ability to attach a new turnout to existing track every way round but the way I want it, and an answer to a completely different question tells me shift and left click will spin it round :-)

Seriously. are all these hidden functions written down anywhere?  My previous eureka moment was happening upon shift and right click to do clever things with "rotate" - I can't even guess what else I'm missing!

Ian

Sorry for being obtuse, Adam, but I clicked on the icon and dragged it to the track where I dropped it. Isn't that Drag and drop? I didn't do two clicks of the mouse, just the one as I grabbed at the icon.

You said that I needed to click on the Icon, then move the icon to the track or where I wanted the object, then click. Yep, that works as you described. But that isn't what I did in the first place.

On Sun, 11 Oct 2020 at 19:15, Adam Richards <adamjmrichards@...> wrote:

[...]

Joshua Rinehart

In the Linux version of xtrkcad, I am not able to drag anything. In train control cannot add train cars to the track. I have to go over to my windows and drag and drop the cars onto the track.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S10.