Topics

Input error - track segment not on path #Parameter #beta

Peter Borcherds

I've always wondered why I sometimes get this error - I added new track segments, saved the file, now when I open the file up again I get the following error (macOS Catalina, XTrackCad v 5.2 Beta 3.0 (I was getting this on the previous Beta as well as on earlier versions of XtrackCad)

--

Peter Borcherds

BNSF Chicago Sub in N Scale
N Scale Commuter, Freight & Switching Layout

Website: https://www.chicagosubnscale.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ-9Z-cHsMP5gw3ZXoOezLA
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chicagosubnscale

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/chicagosubnscale/

Dave can say more, but the issue is that the parm file listed has a definition that contains a segment (track segment) that is not part of a path statement, This means that that track is unreachable by a Train. That’s a sigh of potential trouble with the definition.

The file you have may be replaced (I think) by the N-Kato-Unitram file. Unload this one and file and load that one from the library. (There’s a library search function now that may help). Hopefully those definitions of the double track elements will be better.

The  parameter file is not part of the current distribution.

As Adam says, try replacing the file.
If you layout has any of the track pieces with this problem you will get this message for them as well.
If the new parameter file is a replacement for the old, you can update them by unloading the old param files,
This only work if the new param has the same title and end-points of the old.

If that fails, post the param file and we'll take a look

Peter Borcherds

Thank you very much, guys! All working now
--

Peter Borcherds

BNSF Chicago Sub in N Scale
N Scale Commuter, Freight & Switching Layout

Website: https://www.chicagosubnscale.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ-9Z-cHsMP5gw3ZXoOezLA
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chicagosubnscale

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/chicagosubnscale/

Peter Borcherds

Seems I spoke too soon!  This error only occurs on XTrackCad on my Mac. I can open the same file on my PC and it works fine, as soon as I open it on my Mac, it shows this error - I have loaded the same parameter files on both computers - I downloaded these from the files in this forum - is there another source for the parameter files?
--

Peter Borcherds

BNSF Chicago Sub in N Scale
N Scale Commuter, Freight & Switching Layout

Website: https://www.chicagosubnscale.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ-9Z-cHsMP5gw3ZXoOezLA
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chicagosubnscale

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/chicagosubnscale/

Adam Richards

Peter,
The N-Kato-Unitram file is shipped inside the product itself. Go to File->Parameter Files->Library and search for Kato.  The Unitram file should be listed. Hit "Add" and then "OK".

The old parm file would still be loaded at startup in Mac case even after being deleted from Windows because they have different settings files so it needs to be removed from each using the Parameter Files Menu. (Unload).

Adam

Peter Borcherds

Hi Adam, yes, I can see the Unitram file, but this is a Unitrack track segment (double-track, superelevated) which is not part of the Unitram track system. However...in the Parameter settings I turned on 'Show Filenames' and it showed that most of the file I had loaded were ones I had downloaded from this group - I unloaded all of those, then searched the Library and found one labelled 'Kato N Scale', which when loaded showed all the buildings AND track, including the Unitrack SuperElevated double-track.  I deleted the old track sections and added the new ones, and all works well now!  I must just rememeber to unload those parameter files from XTrackCad on my PC as well!

Thank you!
--

Peter Borcherds

BNSF Chicago Sub in N Scale
N Scale Commuter, Freight & Switching Layout

Website: https://www.chicagosubnscale.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ-9Z-cHsMP5gw3ZXoOezLA
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chicagosubnscale

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/chicagosubnscale/

Dave Bullis

You mentioned deleting old tracks and adding new.
As mentioned below, you can use the 'Update Turnouts and Structures' command to do this.

We (the developers) can't guarantee any contributed parameter files are correct.  It would be great if someone wanted to tackle cleaning this up (and rationalizing the parameter files we do ship).

Dave

Adam Richards

Couple of pointers about Update Turnouts and Structures -

1) The names must match. If you updated the label of the turnout or structure - it will fail to find it
2) The endpoint count and their position must match. If the turnout was improved to be more accurate (as some of the Peco curved and Y turnouts were recently) then they will not substitute.

If these don't apply, then hand deletion, replacement and re-joining will be needed to get the the new definitions working.

One of our long-time volunteers is Dwayne, who has always done a sterling job on trying to ensure we have definitions for most new developments in RTR track (and also things like the newer turnout kits).  The best thing that would help is for folks to continue to point out where they are running into issues so that we can deprecate/upgrade files and then incorporate them into the shipped product for the benefit of all.

Adam

On a wider point, we definitely lack a lot of richness around all the latest print-and-paste card kit buildings, even traditional card buildings as well, and even more lacking are definitions of RTR Cars outside NA practice.