JMRI #jmri

Steve Hayes

Has anyone tried to move the car files over from JMRI to xtrackcad ? I would like to try to run those cars/ train  on the railroad I have designed using xtrackcad.
I understand this is a design program but you can move cars  and  trains etc, just wondering if there is anything to prevent this?
Great program !
WP Steve

Adam Richards

Steve,
There is an XTrkCAD layout to JMRI importer to build JMRI Panels.  It is available from the JMRI distro. This takes the track and produces a panel from it.

Don't know of an importer for JMRI definitions, but it could be done as both sides publish file format standards.  I would be surprised if JMRI has non-power "car" definitions (passenger or freight) though as it is mainly concerned with controllable objects (powered ones with decoders).

Adam

Steve Hayes

Thanks we will see what we can come up with.. Have the railroad complete and cars set out. Just have to see how we can operate as I do with the real (  layout ) railroad
WP Steve

On 5/1/2021 4:30 PM, Adam Richards wrote:
Steve,
There is an XTrkCAD layout to JMRI importer to build JMRI Panels.  It is available from the JMRI distro. This takes the track and produces a panel from it.

Don't know of an importer for JMRI definitions, but it could be done as both sides publish file format standards.  I would be surprised if JMRI has non-power "car" definitions (passenger or freight) though as it is mainly concerned with controllable objects (powered ones with decoders).

http://steveswplayout.hayeswp.com
www.WesternPacificDepotsAndStations.com

Adam Richards

Steve,
Can you explain what aspects of operation you would wish to perform?

The Train mode we have today allows you to run multiple trains but will not simulate a control panel exactly (for example you can’t simulate route setting rather than individual turnouts).

We also don’t have operational Signals or Blocks (yet) and unlike JMRI you can’t form Routes or Automate the Train operation.

So what we have allows simulation of manual operation as loco drivers, with all the ability to shunt and make consists but not the signal operator perspective that is sometimes seem (especially in the UK) or a fully automated timetable.

Adam

On Saturday, May 1, 2021, Steve Hayes <HAYESWP@...> wrote:
Thanks we will see what we can come up with.. Have the railroad complete and cars set out. Just have to see how we can operate as I do with the real (  layout ) railroad
WP Steve

On 5/1/2021 4:30 PM, Adam Richards wrote:
Steve,
There is an XTrkCAD layout to JMRI importer to build JMRI Panels.  It is available from the JMRI distro. This takes the track and produces a panel from it.

Don't know of an importer for JMRI definitions, but it could be done as both sides publish file format standards.  I would be surprised if JMRI has non-power "car" definitions (passenger or freight) though as it is mainly concerned with controllable objects (powered ones with decoders).

http://steveswplayout.hayeswp.com
www.WesternPacificDepotsAndStations.com

Robert Heller

At Sat, 1 May 2021 18:55:58 -0700 main@xtrackcad.groups.io wrote:

Steve,
Can you explain what aspects of operation you would wish to perform?

The Train mode we have today allows you to run multiple trains but will not
simulate a control panel exactly (for example you can’t simulate route
setting rather than individual turnouts).

We also don’t have operational Signals or Blocks (yet) and unlike JMRI you
can’t form Routes or Automate the Train operation.

So what we have allows simulation of manual operation as loco drivers, with
all the ability to shunt and make consists but not the signal operator
perspective that is sometimes seem (especially in the UK) or a fully
automated timetable.
The Model RR System has a parser that can parse XTrackCAD files, including the
layout control objects (blocks, switch motors, signals, etc.) and use that
info to help create dispatcher panels that are LCC aware.

Adam

--
Robert Heller -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364
Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services

Steve Hayes

At first i think routes but as you explain it that is not that important. As we use it I'm sure we will find it does ll we need. Thanks for the reply.

On 5/1/2021 6:55 PM, Adam Richards wrote:
[...]

Dave Bullis

I'm not sure what you're asking for but:
You can import/export car definitions as a .csv file using the Car Inventory dialog.
See the Help on that dialog for the format
I don't know how to get JMRI to generate/accept these .csv files

Dave