Topics

Mac Big Sur - Access to Folders Restricted #Mac #HowTo

tom.morter@...

I’ve just upgraded my macbook to Big Sur (OS11). I’ve reinstalled xtrackcad and xquartz, but I am not able to load saved designs. The error message says: ‘Cannot open XTrackCAD file: /Users/tom/Documents/Trains/Foursidedv1.xtc:Operation not permited.

I have given full disc access to xtrackcad and xquartz but still no joy.

If anyone can help, i’d be grateful. Thanks.

Adam Richards

The issue is the same on Catalina as well. And it isn't a bug, it's an OS security "feature".

For all those programs that do not come from the Apple Store, access to the special Documents/Downloads/Pictures and so forth folders is verboten.  There is no override that was apparent to me after Catalina launched.  The reasoning appears to be that for these suspect (to Apple) programs, access to these folders is of higher concern as they are default targets of downloads by Browsers, and so they might be a kind of Trojan horse to infect the machine.

So, what to do?  As the install instructions on the wikki now states, you need to move your layout (.xtc) and other personal XtrkCAD files to a folder outside those structures on Catalina and up.

  • Using Finder (or Terminal) create a new folder (I unimaginatively call mine "XTrackCAD") in a convenient place (mine is directly under my user directory (~ in Terminal)) and
  • Copy/Move all the files in question into it.

As to why we are not a trusted app -> I have explained that before, but the tl;dr version is -> it costs money and we would have to incorporate as a real company/non-profit with directors/owners, etc., which is not sensible for a group of open-source volunteers (an anarcho-syndicalist commune, in fact!).

Adam

David Rea

I have just read this issue with Apple.

I have a more fundamental problem. I have downloaded xtrackcad and transferred it to my Applications folder. However I’m unable to open it even by overriding the “non Apple warning message“.

I’m using a Mid 2009 MacBook Pro with El Capitan version 10.11.6. This is the latest version I can use unless I buy a more modern computer. Is xtrackcad supported by this version of OS?

Thank you in anticipation.

Best wishes

David

On 21 Nov 2020, at 19:07, Adam Richards <adamjmrichards@...> wrote:

[...]

David,
As the Mac Install instructions note, once installed, you need to Right-Click on the XTrackCAD program object in Finder and click "Open".

This is another security feature of Catalina and up that has also been making its way into security patches for other OS levels.  It is a shibboleth designed to inhibit random running of sideloaded programs, because, as you discovered, someone has to tell you to do this -> there is no prompt.

Once you have confirmed that this is a program you want to run the first time, it will be "in the club" and then it will work normally.

Adam