Topics

Need to add various Atlas track items to inventory and add to layout

DadnotGrandad

I just started using XTrackCAD (5.2.0 Beta 2.1 running under Ubuntu 20.10.  Much of my HO layout has been built with Atlas sectional track (0.75 to 9-inch strait sections and 24-inch radius curved sections and 1/3 and 1/2 sections of those curves) and Atlas and Walters turnouts.  I want to be able to select each of those pieces as needed to document the track I have already laid and plan the remaining track.  Yes, I can find all the NMRA turnouts etc., by I need to add the other track sections and turnouts I use, and delete the items I don't use.

How do I do this?

Thank you,

John

Adam Richards

John,
Not completely clear what you are asking.

Do you already have a plan that you are trying to find the elements within, or are you building a plan that documents what you have and you want to locate the parts in the library so you can use them?

The second would be done using the Library - you can search for Atlas as a term and all the shipped parm files can then be loaded. File->Parameter Files->Library. The select and Add those parms.

The first (finding particular parts in a layout) is a feature that will be included in the next release.

Once we know what you are asking we can help more.

Adam

DadnotGrandad

Hello Adam,

I just found the answer to my question (Ctrl T) before I wrote the text shown below.

Thank you for your reply.  I am both building a plan that that documents the track I have laid and then once all the track has been laid elevate most sections of the layout.  I am not very good with flex track unless it is straight sections or very wide radius curves (36-42 inches) as I have on the layout at my other home.  In the case of the current layout, all track except for long straightaways is Atlas Code 83 sectional track with a few Walthers Code 83 24/20 and 28/24 curved turnouts.  All curved sections are based on Atlas 24-inch radius curved track (4 sections per 90-degree turn).  I increase the curve radii, where needed,  by adding various short pieces of track (Atlas HO CODE-83 STRAIGHT TRACK ASSORTMENT) between the second and third curved pieces.  I also use other pieces from the same track assortment as need to connect turnout and connect sections of curved track where the distance does not fit exactly with 9-inch straight sections.  I also have cut the 24-inch radius curved sections in halves and thirds as necessary.  I want to document all the track sections as well as the turnouts, and put them in a library so that I can use them in providing an accurate track plan and estimate what will happen when I put in 2% grades using the Woodland Scenics risers.

John

Ian

Hello John, I just spotted this part at the bottom of your message:
"... estimate what will happen when I put in 2% grades using the Woodland Scenics risers.
"
I am not sure if you have seen a discussion some months back about Elevations and just how much difference did they make to track lengths?
Well let me tell you, John, I got into it in a very detailed way. Spreadsheets. Calculations. Even that old guy, Pythagoras, was brought into the discussion.
My module has ginormous grades, mostly 10-12% but one section has greater than 20% but then it is a cog and rack railway. So I calculated every single piece of track and multiplied and added it all together to take account for elevations. End result was I needed to buy 1 more piece of track. That was it. The effect of the grades, even though they are going to be steep, was that minor.
So if you are worried about a 2% grade changing your trackage I don't think you will find very much different from the track plan. You could find changes and you might be better off to allow for the chance but I would expect any difference at 2% to be negligible.
I think I still have the spreadsheets if you wanted to go through the exercise.
Good luck with your designs.

--
-- Ian

Andy - Arlington TX

At 2% grade, the horizontal span of a given track piece is 0.99980006 of its actual length.

In other words, in 1000" of track length (with a 20" rise), that's less than 1/5 of an inch shorter in horizontal span.

If that makes a difference on your layout, then compensate for it.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

James Szinger

On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 01:47:40 +1030
"Ian" <ilox11@gmail.com> wrote:
So if you are worried about a 2% grade changing your trackage I don't
think you will find very much different from the track plan. You
could find changes and you might be better off to allow for the
chance but I would expect any difference at 2% to be negligible.
I just did the math (hope it is right). For a 2% grade, the ratio
between the slope and the horizonal is cos(atan(0.02)) = 0.99980006, a
difference of about 0.02%. On a 2 inch rise over 100 inches that
works out to about 1/50 inch. In SI units, that’s 50 mm rise over
2500 mm run with a difference of 1/2 mm. I expact that other errors
will dominate.

Jim

Adam Richards

I expect that other errors will dominate.

But if you were modeling a funicular railway instead....

"Funiculi, Funiculà", is ~√2 up AND down.  Any errors the young man in the song is making are perhaps going to be even more consequential than that...

Adam