operating systems #Windows

mikechoochoo

I was wondering where to find what versions will work with what operating systems. I currently use version 4.0.3a on an XP system and wanted to up grade. I also have a minor problem, any notes I place on the layout are too small to read even with the largest font.  It works fine for the things I want to do, but an upgrade of the parameters and the note thing would make it easier for me. But which one?
Mike N.

Dave Bullis

mikechoochoo

I've been there but there is no system requirement info except for the windows 10.

Dave Bullis

What specifics are looking for?
I'm not a Windows guy, maybe Russell can comment.

You can also try installing it.

Dave

mikechoochoo

just wondering what the newest version that will run ok on windows XP.  That I know it's outdated, but my newer computers are pads.

Joost van der Waa

Hi Mike,

Besides the fact that XP is really having security issue that make you vulnerable for all sorts of attacks and that that the current browsers do not run on XP (so please don't connect to your network and never go on-line with that pc, XP was end of life 7(!) years ago), I guess that Xtrackcad 5.1.2 will run on that old pc.
The current version 5.2.1 is drawing a heavier load on the graphic capabilities, so I guess it will be substantial slower on your pc.
However, you could just try the latest version, basically it will run as it is a 32-bit application. Be warned that the file format in the latest version has changed, you cannot go back with files edited in 5.2.1 to a previous version.

Joost

Robert Heller

At Wed, 10 Mar 2021 20:06:29 -0800 main@xtrackcad.groups.io wrote:

just wondering what the newest version that will run ok on windows XP.
 That I know it's outdated, but my newer computers are pads.
It should be possible to install a version of Linux on that XP box.

--
Robert Heller -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364
Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services

imanibaker

mike--I take in old PC's and refurbish them to give away.

I have been amazed at how well windows 10 runs on even ancient PC's.

if you want to try windows 10, back up all your files from your current XP install since you will be wiping the drive.  if you want me to give you the method I use to install win10, I think you can send me a pm or an email off list.

ken