Topics

Problems on a Mac.... this time... #Mac #Bug #New

barr_ceo

Having some issues with the newest version of the program... It's been a while since i used  it, so I went and updated them on my Mac, and installed it first time on a windows laptop I was given. Having problems with  both. Let's deal with the Mac first....

Running High Sierra OS 10.13.6 on a late 2009 27" iMac. No further OS upgrades possible on this model.

I've installed xQuartz 2.7.11, (and restarted the computer afterward...) and the terminal works just fine. However, when I try to start XTrakCAD, I get as far as the "splash" logo and it hangs with the message "Reading parameter files"... and gets no further. I know running a program the first time can sometimes take a while, so I let it sit....  overnight. Nothing. I've tried starting xQuartz first, and tried starting XTrakCAD and letting IT start xQuartz...   Same results

I REALLY want to use this on my big Mac screen due to poor vision, and I've got a lot of work planned putting together T-TRAK modules, so some direction would be appreciated. I'll post the issues I'm having with the WIndows laptop later...

tynewydd@...

Barr(y),
The most likely explanation is that is a small, hidden, window that needs your response sitting completely behind the splash screen (the one that says loading parameters...).  This is a bug/feature that has tripped some others up as well. Because the reply window is "modal" for the program it won't proceed until it has been replied to, which is why it is sitting there dumbly.

One way to see if that is true is to right click on the Xquartz Icon (The "X") and see if there is an extra window listed there when this happens. If there is, you may be able to get it to the front by clicking on it. Another trick is that after selecting XTrackCAD window, an "enter" will hit the currently selected button on a modal window - usually "Yes".  If your parameter files or layout have a lot of issues, you may need to do this repeatedly.

I'll see if anything can be done to either alter the display order, the position or increase the size of the window for V5.2.

Adam

barr_ceo

OK, Yes, there was a window hidden behind the splash logo..   It's a notification from XTrkCAD.bin, and says "No Parameter File Map found for T-Trak Modules w/Track".

This was a project I was working on several years ago, and had working in the then--current version. I've not even been able to open the current version yet, and haven't installed any additional files, so I'm not sure where there message is coming from...   The program still doesn't load after I click on the "OK" button... any ideas on a way around this roadblock?

I've tried trashing XTrackCAD and reinstalling it, with the same results.

tynewydd@...

Well some progress.

I suspect that after you got rid of the first prompt there was another one that had subtly different text at the end.  At this point in the startup XTrkCAD is trying to find all the parameter files it used to have looping round and it may well complain about every one.

Now the issue is that those parm files have moved.  In prior releases on Mac the code was installed anywhere the user wanted. Now - by default it is to put into Applications, and the parameter files are inside the installed app package not out where they were used to be. This is the most likely diagnosis.

Two choices -

1) Continue to hit enter (or say OK) to all these messages for all the parm files you had
2) Find a folder called ".xtrkcad" under your UserName folder (it will be hidden because of the "." but you can use Finder->Go->GoTo Folder "\Users\your-name\.xrkcad". Delete (or copy and rename) the file called "xtrkcad.rc".

The second way will lose your settings, but should enable you to get the program started.

Adam

barr_ceo

I didn't have anything that wasn't backed up already, so I went straight to option 2...   It worked!  I'm in now. Thanks!

Ron Jamieson

Hi, I'm trying to run xtrkcad on a Mac mini running macOS 11.1 (Big Sur).  I have already updated to Xquartz 2.8.0, restarted, etc.
I was able to launch Xtrkcad  with control-rightclick open, and bring up the splash screen.
And then all I get is X.  No hidden windows I can find; just nothing.
Suggestions?

Adam Richards

First things first - did you logout and in or reboot after you installed XQuartz? I am assuming that you probably did because of the splash.

We don’t have Big Sur to test with. One thing that this reminds me of is the wFlush() bug that was hurting Linux users on startup - it was at the same spot. Dave, doesn’t it sound similar?

Next idea, try a few times hitting enter. If there is actually a prompt you can’t see that can sometimes be enough to get things going.

See my other post on Big Sur and latest XQuartz 2.8.0 having problems.  The release candidate level seems to have more issues than the Beta3 version did by some accounts.

Adam

Ron Jamieson

Update:
Xtrdcad 5.2 under Xquartz 2.8.0 Beta 3 seems to be working ok with latest macOS Big Sur, 11.2.3 on my Mac Mini.
The only issue seems to be that .xtc layout files can only be read from, or saved to the user's home directory, and not from/to any subdirectory folders, even with both apps being granted full disk access.
I can live with that.

Sent from Ron's iPad mini4

Earl Paine

Having the same success as Ron Jaimieson ...   5.2 up and running under Big Sur.
But having a devil of a time trying to open all my many old  files created under 4.2 on earlier MAC OS's.
Tried the suggestions on opening older files on Catalina. (moving to a new directory, etc) but no success!
Really need to access those older files.
FYI... tried reverting to 4.2. Could not get 4.2 to run on Big Sur like 5.2 does. Catch 22?
Anybody having better luck than me?
Earl Paine

Adam Richards

1. The access controls mean that any file sin the D/D/D folders (Downloads/Documents/Desktop) and subfolders are protected.  It may extend to the user's current directory as well (where the D/D/D directories live).

2. The actual program that the system sees is a shell script, issued when an X11 app starts and it apparently secures on that.

3. Some users of other X11 programs reported success by starting them under the Terminal app and answering the "provide access" questions on authorizing that to have full disk access.

4. The simplest (and probably most secure) method, rather than adding access permissions, is to use terminal or the Finder app to make a new folder from the root - that is not under your own user name but at the same level as /Users and /Applications etc and copy all the files you need into that using Finder.

Adam