Run Trains Feature requests #HowTo #FeatureRequest

Shawn Hayes

Been using the program a month or two now, really enjoying it so far.
In the course of action I've run across a few things that either I am doing wrong or maybe are potentials for improvement.

1. When in "Run Trains" mode, is it possible to active the "Pan" navigation option? As I am sure you are aware, once you get a sizeable layout built, and particularly once you start adding background items, buildings, etc., the click-scroll navigation method starts to get pretty laggy. It gets worse the farther in you zoom. Pan seems to navigate the lag better, and I think it would be preferable to be able to pan-drag when operating anyway. "Follow" is useful, but it's nice to be able to look ahead.

2. Again in "Run Trains" mode, and I am fairly sure this is a wish-list item rather than a setting I am missing, would it be possible to make the controller a resizable window? The layout I am working with has something like 12 locomotives so it would be very nice to be able to see those in a single window simultaneously. If I could just drag the controller window edges to generate space for a loco panel in lieu of the drop down that would be excellent. Wider with a few rows of locos would probably be best. The current layout is large enough to be able to realistically run several trains at the same time, so an easier way of being able to monitor them would be great.

3. Is there a setting to make revising properties of cars on the layout possible? Having to remove-edit-respot cars  for a simple color change or whatever is a little tedious. We're working with 300 plus cars so there's always something that needs changing it seems!

4. Trains mode again...is there a setting to make operating switches a simple click rather than a shift-click? Not a huge problem but the shift-click is not super intuitive in a windows environment and I believe that shift requirement and the lack of pan are the only things keeping you from running trains without any keyboard input.

5. I've found the ctrl-1,2,3 track sizing function for providing track contrast, but I'm wondering if you can actually change individual track colors instead? Not very prototypical I realize but it is kind of nice to make an oddball track an off color sometimes.

Thanks for your help and your patience!
~Shawn

Adam Richards

Shawn,

When in "Run Trains" mode, is it possible to active the "Pan" navigation option?

In Train Mode, you can click anywhere on the layout while the trains are running (giving the window focus) and then you can use the arrow keys (and the arrow keys with shift) to pan in half window and smaller increments.  Because these are "jumps" they don't tax the system very much.

make the controller a resizable window

We can bear the resize of the controller in mind as we do UI work for V3 - if you could add that to the feature requests then it wont be forgotten - https://sourceforge.net/p/xtrkcad-fork/feature-requests/
I suspect you are one of the most aggressive users of this function based on your description of 12 trains. Changing to other than a scrollable list of trains is going to be a bigger challenge.

revising properties of cars on the layout

Can you explain what actions you want to take "routinely"? You mention colors - are you trying to color by train perhaps?  Or is it car by car in a "color by destination" switching scheme, perhaps?  And what other characteristics than color are covered by "or whatever" ?  It is in theory possible to add to the right-click context menu actions on a car - I'd like to understand the scenarios better first, however, as you may be asking for additional car characteristics, or train characteristics.

is there a setting to make operating switches a simple click rather than a shift-click

No, but there could be a change made - it would probably be as "either/or" without a setting.  (Use Shift-Click or just Click - both would work).  I'm trying to think what else it would affect and I can't think of much.

if you can actually change individual track colors

Not directly - track colors are set either by the master settings or by layer depending on Display->Color By Layer.  Then the layer color is used only if the "use color" setting for the layer the track is in is also set.  So if you are prepared to move the track in question to a different layer named maybe "Oddballs" you can set the master display option to color by layer and only set the Oddballs Layer to use its color for track objects and you get only those oddball tracks colored as you wish.

Adam

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 5:30 PM, Shawn Hayes <shawndhayes@...> wrote:
[...]

Feature Request #158 created.

Adam