Topics

sleeper spaces #HowTo

knorosow

I'd like to change sleeper spaces for a more realistic design of my narrow-gauge layout. Is there an option to use (i.e. change) in parameter files?
regards
-knorosow

There is an normally not set group of configuration settings read from the
xtrkcad.ini or xtrkcad.rc file in the working directory

The section is called "tiedata-scalename" (e.g., "tiedata-009") and the values (in inches) are

"length" (default value is 41/scale_ratio+gauge)
"width" (default value is 16/scale_ratio)
"spacing" (default value is 2*default_width)

In Windows the .ini would have
[tiedata-OO9]
length=xxxx
width=yyyy
spacing=zzzz

In Mac/Linux
tiedata-OO9.length: xxxx
tiedata-OO9.width: yyyy
tiedata-OO9.spacing: zzzz

Note - OO9 is not "009"...

This is an "at your own risk" but you could try adding any of these values you want to override and the code should read them.

Adam

Joost van der Waa

Hi Adam,

Interesting!
Personally I would expect these parameters to be placed in the parameter file per track type, it would add something to a more realistic view.
But, more important, the view on the screen would show the correct number of sleepers on the screen, making it more easy to pick the right track when laying out the setup.
An example: a Marklin M-track full straight section of 18 cm contains 19 sleepers in Xtrackcad, but in reality there are 24 sleepers.
I haven't calculated how changing the parameters would affect the shorter tracks, but it is nice to know you can actually change this.

Joost

Adam Richards

This parameter override scheme was set up as Gauge/Scale specific (and not by track piece) many years ago and "ties" in XtrkCAD were never described as accurate. The fact that it has not been an issue before, seems to suggest the compromise works "well enough".

I can speak, I think, for Wayne that the work needed to get every piece of track accurate in this regard would be enormous. As an example, track pieces whether flex or RTR are often not a integer number of spacings apart. The code attempts to "shuffle" them so that there are neither too many nor too few using a "add 1 and redivide" approach.  This may, or may not, be desirable over a "add 1 at the end". I also think some RTR track uses half-widths at track-ends, and so on.

Ultimate accuracy on sleeper/tie placement/width and so forth is extremely complex and the province of a tool like Templot - in which each sleeper can be described individually - this includes mixtures of timber widths.

Until someone comes along who wants to put in all the effort to write the code and update and maintain all the definitions, at least you may have a way to set things generically - as most folks seem content to have the look right rather than completely accurate.

Adam

Joost van der Waa

Thanks Adam for the feedback :-)

knorosow

Adam,
thanks for explaining.
I tried the tiedata thing you proposed. It worked, but slows the program startup even with smaller lay outs a lot.
Its ok. I do not realy need this, exept when printing out or exporting to bitmap.
-knorosow

Dave Bullis

You can also turn on Track Descriptions (Options|Display) which will label each Predefind Track (Turnout and Sectional Track)

Dave

That’s weird unless you are a 5.1. The values are loaded once per scale/gauge and then they are just as efficient as “normal” ties since the same calculations are done.
I found an issue that we were reading the tie parms over and over for every track!!   Fixed pushed.

On 5.1, drawing open ties is inefficient but should not be noticeably so unless there’s a lot of track on screen.

Adam

Russell Shilling

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 12:19 AM, Adam Richards wrote:
[tiedata-OO9]
length=xxxx
width=yyyy
spacing=zzzz
This would be for D&RGW and RGS style:
[tiedata-Gn3]
length=3.8
width=0.394
spacing=1.2

--
Russell Shilling
http://shilling-or.com

Ian

Adam and crew, while talking about track lengths and sleeper spaces, is there a way to incorporate the N Fleischmann 9119 Flexi Rack track specifications into the Flexible track drawings?
https://www.fleischmann.de/en/product/12225-0-0-0-0-0-0-005008002-0/products.html

There are 43 sleepers for every 222mm length of rack track. At present, I highlight the rack track by making the adjacent non-Rack track light and the Rack track heavy and putting them on a different layer where appropriate. It would be nice, but probably impossible, to be able to code the centre rack to appear in the middle of the Flexi track.
Is there some way to superimpose the centre rack and the sleeper spacing onto a length of Flexi line?
Or...
Have 222mm pieces of the #9119 track able to be put in place and curved to the required radius?

On Sun, 22 Nov 2020 at 03:34, Russell Shilling <russellshilling@...> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 12:19 AM, Adam Richards wrote:
[tiedata-OO9]
length=xxxx
width=yyyy
spacing=zzzz
This would be for D&RGW and RGS style:
[tiedata-Gn3]
length=3.8
width=0.394
spacing=1.2

--
Russell Shilling
http://shilling-or.com

--
-- Ian

Adam Richards

Center track could be done by making the track "dual gauge" which is supported in V5.2.

1. You parallel the base track with another track of half-gauge (so I'm guessing Z for N) on top of the current with a zero offset. (In this case it doesn't matter if it is to the left or right rail). One rail will overlay the current rail, one will be in the middle.
2. You set the new track to hide-sleepers.

The issue of sleeper spacing the base of the combo track then is that unless you are lucky and you don't use N gauge elsewhere, you have one go at setting sleeper width for N -> unless you are prepared to go a little off reservation and make this original track use one of the other scale tracks that also use an N-gauge track.  Then you can override the sleepers for it independently using the config as you don't use it elsewhere and set it to anything you want.

As I have explained today's default sleepering only considers gauge and scale, and so the best we have is overriding for a whole scale/gauge.  The entire field awaits someone who wants to do the work to produce (and maintain) a named array of sleeper values that can be pointed to and comes with the gauge/scale definitions in the product - but that would also mean a major upheaval in the way every track object and parameter file is defined.

You also use a Parallel Line with 0 Separation . Then use Properties set the line width.
One caveat: Parallel Line on a Cornu Track creates it as a PolyLine which is not smooth like a regular Curve Track.

Dave