Topics

Snap grid #Bug

Robert Scott

Good morning,
I have been using V5.2 Beta 2 for a while and have uncovered a few minor issues.

The snap grid places itself on top of the display, overwriting anything else. If a track, line, table edge or other things are placed on the one foot grid lines, it disappears.
With a track, scan out and it disappears at the point where the display switches to single line. The one inch marks do the same, turning a solid line into a dashed line.
When modifying various objects like the table edge, the snap is not available.

When setting defined points in the Elevation function, the grade is shown as zero in and out of the defined points, although the intermediate points display the grade correctly.

I am hoping that curved table edges, dimensions and benchwork are feasible.

Thanks for your excellent work.

Robert,
I originally thought the Snap Grid was supposed to be on top....  But I see the issue with lines that are on top of it.   I'll look to change the order of redraw for Grid.

Not sure what you mean about Elevations. I just tried it and all seemed well, so I need an example. Do you mean when you have selected a point but not set it, or when you are "hovering" over the track?

I have not done anything about curved table edges or benchwork per se.  The table edge and a piece of benchwork is a defined object tyoe with properties that were intended to be straight.  There really isn't anything special about a table edge rather than a straight line - it is just draw "thicker" than usual. Benchwork has a lot of additional properties to do with the cross-section of the girder - and I'm not clear what even makes sense in curved girders.

In both cases (edges and benchwork), arcs, bezier and polylines may be a better bet for sophisticated uses.   You may not have seen that we can join together line objects now into polylines (splitting is coming) so you can draw curved edges and then join to form polylines that you can even then fill them, if you need to.

Dimension lines are only for distances between two points. Can you explain what you are looking for there?

Snap Grid order changes to in front of background but behind layout objects (tracks/lines/etc)

Adam Richards

Snap Grid for table edges was fixed recently. It now applies but a magnetic snap is "stronger". Using Alt suppresses magnetic snap (if it is on, or enables if off) as usual so you can choose.

Adam

Robert Scott

Regarding table edge, it appears to change size as u scan in and out, keeping the same appearance in the display,
whereas a simple line becomes thinner as you scan out.
Can this characteristic be made an option to be applied to straight lines, curved lines, boxes and polylines?

On Saturday, August 29, 2020, 02:54:09 p.m. EDT, Adam Richards <adamjmrichards@...> wrote:

[...]

Attached is a small layout file, three linked loops.
In Elevations. click on the defined points, 6 of them, and the other junctions.
The defined points show zero percent grade on my machine.

[...]

Found the grade bug - using round() too early in grade calc.

Fixed pushed.

I'll have to think about TableEdges. For normal draw objects that have a line width of '0' is already scale independent, of course (always 1.5 pixels).   But it seems negative numbers are actually available in the UIs and today but seem to be drawn as though they were positive.  So possibly one could use them as a scale independent number of pixels... This would allow a choice of thickness and also all the other things that lines, curves, bezier lines, polygons and polylines have (dotted-ness and so forth). Maybe that could be useful in other contexts than only table edges?

I have discovered that it is easily possible to use negative width numbers to set absolute UI widths in pixels at all zoom levels.  So if we do that for Straight Lines (not dimension or tableedge or benchwork), Curved Lines (inc Bezier), Circles, Polygons (inc PolyLines) - you can have all the power of Draw objects (color, linetypes, curved points, joining - soon to be splitting) plus the TableEdge non-scale line width drawing capability.   That would simply give you curved edges and so on, in other words.

OK?

Adam

Robert Scott

Thank you. Curved layout edges are very common and add to the appeal of the finished layout.
I expect this feature will be used.