Topics

Table edge lines always created as curved in 5.2GA #Bug #V5dot2dot1

Robert Gerald

Adam,
When I try to draw a table edge, it always makes the line curved rather that straight.  Is there some new setting I need to set to prevent this behavior?
Bob Gerald

Robert Scott

Adam,
The curved table edge works perfectly, creating any radius, any amount of rotation.
If possible, please retain this feature.

Bob

On Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 03:05:51 p.m. EST, Robert Gerald <rfgerald3@...> wrote:

Adam,
When I try to draw a table edge, it always makes the line curved rather that straight.  Is there some new setting I need to set to prevent this behavior?
Bob Gerald

Robert Scott

Adam, Bob
I must correct myself.

"Table Edge" produces a curved line.

Bob S

On Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 03:25:18 p.m. EST, Robert Scott via groups.io <sparky1bob@...> wrote:

Adam,
The curved table edge works perfectly, creating any radius, any amount of rotation.
If possible, please retain this feature.

Bob
On Tuesday, December 1, 2020, 03:05:51 p.m. EST, Robert Gerald <rfgerald3@...> wrote:

Adam,
When I try to draw a table edge, it always makes the line curved rather that straight.  Is there some new setting I need to set to prevent this behavior?
Bob Gerald

Adam Richards

In the V5.2 GA release, the very last change made was to fix the issue of Add->table-edge producing curved lines (rather than edges). Add->Circles were doing the same thing, incidentally.

Edges in the Xtrkcad object model are very definitely straight and have a more restricted property set than lines as well (see below).  So that's the first part.

The question is - are you running at current GA, (and on what platform) - or did you happen to download it very early, before I had announced it was available, (the staging ran out briefly about a three days ahead, as I recall) because I remember we had to do a rebuild to include it?  Maybe we have a build that is not exactly right, for example.

Now onto good news

Earlier than that bug, because people understandably wanted curved edges, but all changes needed to be very small to not destabilize the release, I had quickly made the display width parameter of lines (curved, or straight, or bezier) to be an absolute pixel number if width was set negative.

This means that curved lines could be used with, or instead of, table edges as the only real difference between the two (other than the possibility of lines being curved and coloured, of course) is how the width is treated in display. A table edge retains its pixel width regardless of zoom, where a non-zero width line scales as the zoom changes. A value of -3 and color black seems to my eye to be equivalent to a table edge (although other values and other colors are possible, giving the ability to convey edges at different levels and other such things).

Adam

Dwyane Ward

Adam,

I can confirm that the "Draw Table Edge" command is drawing a circle instead of straight line. It is similar to "Create a curve line from a cord" without the option to adjust the curve..

I have downloaded and re-installed 5.2.0GA as of today, on a WIN10 Pro.
--
Dwyane Ward

Adam Richards

So it looks like the Windows build at least did not get the memo about the level to use...

Well, we will need a 5.2.1 shortly anyway which hopefully would clean this up.

Adam

Tom Fetherston

Hi, When I try to draw a table edge, it converts to a curved line.

Thanks
Tom

Adam Richards

Tom,
You'll see that I merged this into an existing thread. Known issue, will be fixed in the 5.2.1 release.

But you can use straight lines for table edges now using a negative width (-3 is good). See above ^^.

Adam

Tom Fetherston

Thanks Adam, I missed that thread on my search. I’ve been using a existing table edge and copying it. Your suggestion is quicker.