As is always the case, we have just had a few usability bugs reported that did not make the cut-off, but nothing so serious as to cause any user not to be able to use it confidently so far. We will issue a catch-up dot release after a short while with the fixes to these and others that people find.  In general, however, the development effort will be moving onto larger issues with a GTK3 UI tolerance release as the next prospect.

Martin, Dave and Adam

Alastair Preston

Ummm, I ran into a usability bug that renders the package uninstallable.
When I try to install the file on Kubuntu 20.10, I get:

"This package is uninstallable
Dependency is not satisfiable: libzip4 (>= 1.0"

(K)ubuntu uses libzip5, not libzip4.

On 2020-11-07 8:47 p.m., Adam Richards wrote:
We are pleased to announce that the latest level of XTrackCAD, V5.2.0 GA is now available on SourceForge.
Here - https://sourceforge.net/projects/xtrkcad-fork/files/XTrackCad/Version%205.2.0/ <https://sourceforge.net/projects/xtrkcad-fork/files/XTrackCad/Version%205.2.0/>;
As is always the case, we have just had a few usability bugs reported that did not make the cut-off, but nothing so serious as to cause any user not to be able to use it confidently so far. We will issue a catch-up dot release after a short while with the fixes to these and others that people find.  In general, however, the development effort will be moving onto larger issues with a GTK3 UI tolerance release as the next prospect.
Martin, Dave and Adam

Robert Scott

Thank you, gentlemen.

On Saturday, November 7, 2020, 10:47:49 p.m. EST, Adam Richards <adamjmrichards@...> wrote:

We are pleased to announce that the latest level of XTrackCAD, V5.2.0 GA is now available on SourceForge.

Here - https://sourceforge.net/projects/xtrkcad-fork/files/XTrackCad/Version%205.2.0/

As is always the case, we have just had a few usability bugs reported that did not make the cut-off, but nothing so serious as to cause any user not to be able to use it confidently so far. We will issue a catch-up dot release after a short while with the fixes to these and others that people find.  In general, however, the development effort will be moving onto larger issues with a GTK3 UI tolerance release as the next prospect.

Martin, Dave and Adam

Here is a Google suggestion for libzip4 dependency on higher levels...  see especially the second last comment.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/56294657/unable-to-install-libzip4-on-ubuntu-19-04/56294946#56294946

Adam

He Ro

Thank you, gentlemen!

Im curious to try out all the new things I've been reading about on the
list.

Will you also create a source archive? Then I'll create the packages for
Slackware as well.

All the best,
Heiko

--
eMails verschlüsseln mit PGP - privacy is your right!
Mein PGP-Key zur Verifizierung: http://pgp.mit.edu

martinmenow

Thanks ...  very excited to test but openSUSE Leap 15.2 uses libzip5 ... no libzip4 available.

Dave Bullis

From the Readme

This version of XTrkCad is built using libzip4. Newer versions of Ubuntu (20.04) have replaced libzip4 with libzip5. In this case the debian package will not install and if installed will not run. You will need to get libzip4 from https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/18.04/ubuntu-universe-amd64/libzip4_1.1.2-1.1_amd64.deb.html

I don't know what is required on SUSE.  Let us know and we add to the Readme.

Dave

Dave Bullis

The Readme at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xtrkcad-fork/files/XTrackCad/Version%205.2.0/
describes how to build xtrkcad using hg (mecurial) and ccmake

Let us know how you build it on Slackware
Dave

Chris Kenyon

I use a standard Windows10 setup on a PC.  This looked like it was going to be much more difficult than installing earlier versions via the Wiki and the link to the download page there (which is still pointing at 5.1.2a as I'm sure you know).  Having installed a new app to enable me to read the readme file, and worked through that, I crossed my fingers and went to download the .EXE file which seemed a logical next move.  But my system blocked it with the message "xtrkcad-setup-5.2.0GA.exe was blocked because it could harm your device".  The only options offered were to delete the file or report it safe, so I reported it safe. I don't imagine this will have any dramatic effect any time soon .......

I was already concerned that the installation procedure was going to stretch my computer literacy having come across this in your Windows install notes:

"XTrackCAD v5.2 is a 32 bit application. To support new features the package comes with three DLLs. Two of them (zlib and zip) require vcruntime140.dll, which is not included in the package. So you'll have to get a 32bit version of that DLL and install it in your path."

This means very little to me, and following the Microsoft link you invite me to try provided no clues.  So presumably even if I had been able to run the install package, the program wouldn't have worked anyway?

I hate to be critical as I hugely appreciate the development effort you are all putting in, and really want to see the new version, but most of your users are railway geeks not computer geeks.  The install has just got to be made easier than this!

Sorry ..........

Adam Richards

Chris,
Thanks for the note on default files for each OS, I forgot to change that, have updated now.

I'm afraid that the difficulties of install have increased because of three factors -

1. On Windows, the codebase is still at a 32-bit level, which suits many of our users who are still running older Windows versions on old hardware, but is now challenging for the Windows 10 (normally) pure 64-bit crowd. I am assuming that when we get to V6 and only GTK3 on all platforms, we will likely move to ensure 64-bit throughout as we would not need the 32-bit Win APIs anymore. Until that point, the 32-bit toleration libraries are needed on Windows, and Microsoft has chosen to start not including them by default.

2. On both Mac and Windows because (ultimately) of the sheer industry of the hacking community.

Both Microsoft and Apple have, in Star Trek terms, gone "shields up" for any software that does not come from them or "real" companies that can both have an entry in the relevant business directory and pay for the privilege of being certified by them. This, plus the addition of after-market software (anti-virus) etc, has led to making what was formerly a simple "download and run" into a set of instructions that are needed to avoid the shielding, the whole point of which is actually to stop users easily installing any of this stuff because it was just this unrestricted plug-and-play ability that led to an open field for hacking as well.

So, while one can sympathize with your points, and we feel your frustration, as a set of roughly three non-corporate, non-paid, volunteers, we are not able to make install significantly easier -> because making it difficult was the aim of the OS manufacturers.  It is only going to be trivially easy for well-funded, commercially-produced, software going forward, they decided.  Apple calls us "side-loaders" -> to give you an idea of exactly how they view us.

We assume that the fact that this is a free software and so can't fit the corporate mold may be part of why it is attractive, however?

3. On the Linux side, the n-furcation of the Linux distributions adds its own challenges as there is a lot of instability in terms of package managers, dependency levels management.  Linux always has the issue that it was essentially an open OS that any user could customize and that the quality control on those customizations was a "caveat installer" situation.  Dave has been doing a lot to try and make it easier (it often used to be a "compile it yourself" situation) there but when packages are arbitrarily re-versioned as libzip-develop has just been without changing its version number, and the former dependency libraries are removed, stuff gets complex as we try and support users scattered across many distros and levels.

Regards,
Adam

David McBrayer

Chris,

Your system initially blocked the installation because v5.2.0GA is very new.  Been out for how many days, now?  This is a function of the "anti-virus" tools built-in to Windows.  There have been only a "few" downloads in the universe of things.  Once there have been "more" downloads the security features in Windows will back off but only a very little bit.

We're all learning here.  Adam has already given you "the rest of the story."

Dave McBrayer
-----------------------

--
Dave McBrayer
Castro Valley, CA

He Ro

Dave,

so far I've been downloading the source archive, i.e.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xtrkcad-fork/files/XTrackCad/Version%205.1.2/xtrkcad-source-5.1.2a.tar.gz
(and then building using cmake)

With Slackware, we try to separate the downloading step from the
building step. The build itself is done with a shell script called a
"Slackbuild" and it is generally frowned upon to download something
within the script - to allow for offline building and md5sum checking
after download.

I couldn't find a source archive for 5.2.0 - are you planning to create
one? If not, I'll have to find a way to reliably download a "fixed
version" with mercurial (I may misunderstand the README, but my take is
that there is a 5.2-branch, not a 5.2.0-release/tag, or whatever the
correct mercurial terms are for that)

Thank you for your feedback,
Heiko

On 11/9/20 6:13 PM, Dave Bullis wrote:
The Readme at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xtrkcad-fork/files/XTrackCad/Version%205.2.0/
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/xtrkcad-fork/files/XTrackCad/Version%205.2.0/>;
describes how to build xtrkcad using hg (mecurial) and ccmake

Let us know how you build it on Slackware
Dave

--
eMails verschlüsseln mit PGP - privacy is your right!
Mein PGP-Key zur Verifizierung: http://pgp.mit.edu

BONJOUR A TOUS , MES AMIS DE XTRKCAD,
Effectivement, étant le seul dévellopeur de suse et opensuse sur xtrkcad actuellement, je build avec libzip 5. ( pas le choix).....

d'ailleurs je propose la xtrkcad-5.2.0Beta2.1 à ce jour...

La 5.2.0Beta3.0 est à ce jour en étude mais avec libzip5, obligatoire....

Le paquet xtrkcad vendor ou du dévellopement ne fonctionne pas !  (libzip4 )

Le paquet xtrkcad est disponible en réseau communautaire.Il est en deux parties et un plugin démos (retraduction) si FR !

Envoyer moi un petit msg si installation sur openSUSE ....!

Si vous êtes anglais, etc...  pas besoin d'installer mes plugins FR et xtrkcad-lang..........

Je suis le seul sur SUSE, et croyais moi, c'est difficile d’être seul !

Je vous remercie de me lire !  (j'espère que la traduction de mon msg est correct)........

Bonjour a Adam    ( D'accord avec lui sur ces propos sur linux)
Bonjour a Dave     (que je suis également so travail sensas )

A bientôt !

James Szinger

On Mon, 09 Nov 2020 09:13:17 -0800
"Dave Bullis" <sillub@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

The Readme at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xtrkcad-fork/files/XTrackCad/Version%205.2.0/
describes how to build xtrkcad using hg (mecurial) and ccmake
The most recent update to

http://xtrkcad-fork.hg.sourceforge.net:8000/hgroot/xtrkcad-fork/xtrkcad

was in 2013!

Jim

Tom Seay

Looking forward to trying this on my Raspberry Pi 4 if someone could compile for it.  I’ve been running 5.1.2a on it just fine.

—Tom

Dave Bullis

The link was a 'little' out of date.
I've updated the Readme to say

Obtain the current sources from Mercurial; I assume that they are stored locally at "~/src/xtrkcad". Note that the command for read-only access to Mercurial is

hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/xtrkcad-fork/xtrkcad ~/src/xtrkcad

Dave Bullis

http://xtrkcad-fork.sourceforge.net/Wikka/DownloadInstall will tell you how to download and install the latest release
http://xtrkcad-fork.sourceforge.net/Wikka/BuildNotes will tell you how to fetch the source and build

Dave

Bill Lugg

If I used xtrkcad-setup-5.1.2a-1.x86_64.sh to install the prior version of XTrackCAD on Linux Mint 20, how do I go about removing it prior to installing the current version? Looking at the script in the .sh file it looks like it should have installed it in the directory I ran the script from, but there's no evidence that's actually the case.

Thanks

Bill Lugg

On 11/20/20 8:23 PM, Dave Bullis wrote:
http://xtrkcad-fork.sourceforge.net/Wikka/DownloadInstall will tell you how to download and install the latest release
http://xtrkcad-fork.sourceforge.net/Wikka/BuildNotes will tell you how to fetch the source and build

Dave

Dave Bullis

the archive will install in the current directory (or in ./
My archive is in ../build-rel/

dave@ws1:/storage/source/MR/xtrkcad/sf/default/install$ ../build-rel/xtrkcad-setup-5.2.0GA-1.x86_64.sh
xtrkcad Installer Version: 5.2.0GA, Copyright (c) XTrackCAD Fork Project
This is a self-extracting archive.
The archive will be extracted to: /storage/source/MR/xtrkcad/sf/default/install

If you want to stop extracting, please press <ctrl-C>.

Then it asks you to accept the GPL and then
Do you accept the license? [yN]:
By default the xtrkcad will be installed in:
  "/storage/source/MR/xtrkcad/sf/default/install/xtrkcad-setup-5.2.0GA-1.x86_64"
Do you want to include the subdirectory xtrkcad-setup-5.2.0GA-1.x86_64?
Saying no will install in: "/storage/source/MR/xtrkcad/sf/default/install" [Yn]:

Using target directory: /storage/source/MR/xtrkcad/sf/default/install
Extracting, please wait...

Unpacking finished successfully
dave@ws1:/storage/source/MR/xtrkcad/sf/default/install$ ls
bin  share

So it will be installed in the current directory (unless you said yes above and it's installed in ./xtrkcad-setup-5.2.0GA-1.x86_64

In any case you will need to set XTRKCADLIB to the installed share/xtrkcad directory (unless you installed into /usr)
export XTRKCADLIB=`pwd`/share/xtrkcad

You might want to keep the old version around for a bit, so you have a fall back.
If not:
You can just rm the old install if you wish: rm -fr OLD-INSTALL/bin OLD-INSTALL/share
Make sure you save any thing you've added (param files, examples etc)
Since there is no packager (dpkg, gdebi, rpm) etc, we don't know how to uninstall the old version automatically.

Dave

Bill Lugg

I'm not sure if we got our wires crossed in the discussion - during installation of 5.1.2 from the .sh file I accepted the defaults, but upon searching for "xtrkcad" on my machine, I found it in the "xtrkcad" subdirectory of /usr/local/share - a logical place to put these applications, but not where I expected after examining the script.  I suspect the code in the script was just talking about where it was going to extract the compressed files to.  The executable was in /usr/local/bin, which I was able to discern from the "which" command.

At any rate all is well now and 5.2 is installed and working.

Thanks
Bill Lugg

/dave@ws1:/storage/source/MR/xtrkcad/sf/default/install$ <mailto:dave@ws1:/storage/source/MR/xtrkcad/sf/default/install$> ../build-rel/xtrkcad-setup-5.2.0GA-1.x86_64.sh/
/xtrkcad Installer Version: 5.2.0GA, Copyright (c) XTrackCAD Fork Project/
/This is a self-extracting archive./
/The archive will be extracted to: /storage/source/MR/xtrkcad/sf/default/install/
/If you want to stop extracting, please press <ctrl-C>./

Then it asks you to accept the GPL and then
/Do you accept the license? [yN]: /
/y/