Version 5 #Windows

twfavor@...

Does anyone know why windows 10 will not download Version 5?   I get a warning sign saying this version will harm your computer .I have version 4 which I downloaded sometime ago and never got into using it. I now am spending almost 4 to 5 hours a day to get familiar with this cad and getting nowhere. iam aware V5 will not solve my learning curve but I keep seeing a box that tells me load V5. tried closing windows firewall with no success.
Thanks for your response in advance.
Tom

Chris Kenyon

If you dig about the various options on the dialog box that says it's been blocked, you will eventually find a route which allows you to keep the download, get the right (i.e. .exe) filename back and go on to run it, being forced every step of the way to say yes, you really want to do this.  I would be more precise but I can't remember the route, it took me three goes to find my way through the obstructions.  The reason, I believe, is that until a lot of people have downloaded it, Microsoft won't trust it - a bit Catch 22 really.

Best of luck, Chris

Dave Bullis

People have reported an issue with Norton.  Please see the bottom of http://xtrkcad-fork.sourceforge.net/Wikka/WindowsInstall

Otherwise we need more details:
- where you downloaded the install file and its name.
- screen shots of the messages

Dave

Neil D

Mcafee did the same to me when I first downloaded 5.2.1.a. I had to dig into the options to find the override. As Chris said, it's because not enough people downloaded it they don't consider it safe.

Chris Kenyon

I haven't got Norton installed and for me, all the stumbling blocks were purely Microsoft's.  If you've got Norton, it may well have a go once you get past Microsoft ......

Bill Lugg

So, if a lot of people download a virus, is the virus safe...in Microsoft's eyes?  This is one of the many reasons I left Windows for Linux back in 2003.  I've never looked back.

Bill Lugg

On 4/30/21 7:34 AM, Neil D wrote:
Mcafee did the same to me when I first downloaded 5.2.1.a. I had to dig into the options to find the override. As Chris said, it's because not enough people downloaded it they don't consider it safe.

Robert Heller

At Fri, 30 Apr 2021 09:25:34 -0600 main@xtrackcad.groups.io wrote:

So, if a lot of people download a virus, is the virus safe...in
Microsoft's eyes?  This is one of the many reasons I left Windows for
Linux back in 2003.  I've never looked back.
It is more that if enough people "complain" about a "false positive", M$ /
Norton / Mcafee will include an exception. Also there is the whole application
signing business, which involves *buying* a certificate from M$ , something a
typical open-source project generally is not going to be able to do. A small
scale open-source project (like xtrackcad) is not likely to come up on M$'s /
Norton's / Mcafee's radar, so their virus scanners will likely always flag
xtrackcad as "malware", because A) it is not signed and B) not recognized as
known, legit software (eg it is not in thier various databases). I think
malware scanners no longer look for *known* viruses, but instead look for
"known" software and/or check for exe's being signed.

Bill Lugg

--
Robert Heller -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364
Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services

Robert Doss

Windows 10 implemented a system where it will not download any files from a site unless they have a valid security certificate. That is unless you manually go through several steps to allow the download. When the warning comes up there is a link at the bottom you can click, that link will bring up a message detailing the issue with additional buttons that let you go back to the safe place you came from and another button that says "download anyway". If you select download anyway you may get another warning window that asks if you really want to do the download. Select Yes from here will download the file for you. From there it's just a matter of doing the install, Whether your Virus scanner pops up or not now is another matter altogether.

scenicsRme

I think the easiest route is to turn off all/any antivirus software you are running, including and especially Microsoft's, download the latest version directly from sourceforge (where it is checked and virus free) and install. After it is up and running turn the antivirus software back on. Not as many copies of Windows is selling as before, (Billy G. is no longer the richest man in the world) so they are trying to force all the smaller windows software designers into paying MS for the privilege, by making it hell to install anything but windows licensees products. This also makes it easier for MS to evaluate the source code to see if they want to squash it, buy it, or steal it for their own use in their programs. They want all their software to be cloud based so they can charge us bottom rung users an annual fee for it's use.
I too highly recommend switching to Linux. It is free. elegant, tiny in size, fast, and so much easier to use than Windows, plus most of the software is also free and very good. I switched when a ransomware wiped out and bricked my computer. Linux Mint was my savior, and I too have never looked back.