Topics

XtrackCad 3D

Charles Mulch

Does XtrackCad support 3d views? if so how do I access my layout Drawing in 3d?

Adam Richards

Charles,
No we don't (directly).  That's a lot of work and we have enough trouble getting it right in 2D!!  I have also noted in the past -> if there is a developer out there who is sufficiently motivated....

I believe, however, that there is an importer to enable the XTrackCAD layout to be seen in another tool, however.   One thing to note is that only the tracks have elevations. The Draw objects (lines, arcs, circles, etc) do not.

Adam

Robert Heller

At Mon, 03 Aug 2020 06:53:34 -0700 main@xtrackcad.groups.io wrote:

Charles,
No we don't (directly).  That's a lot of work and we have enough trouble getting it right in 2D!!  I have also noted in the past -> if there is a developer out there who is sufficiently motivated....

I believe, however, that there is an importer to enable the XTrackCAD layout
to be seen in another tool, however.   One thing to note is that only the
tracks have elevations. The Draw objects (lines, arcs, circles, etc) do not.
And nothing (even tracks) has a "Z" dimension. Even though tracks have an
"elevation", the rails and ties themselves have no height. The code does not
have a slot in the data structures to support anything like a three
dimensional view that would have any hope of being realistic. To implement
anything like that would require massive changes in the code. Note: since one
can export selected item to DXF *AND* most 3D CAD programs can import DXF,
that might be a starting place to produce a 3D representation.

Another (totally random) idea: FreeCAD is a free and scriptable 3D CAD
system, mostly written in Python. XTrakCAD files are text and well
documented, so it really should be possible to write a FreeCAD/Python script
to "import" XTrakCAD files into FreeCAD. It would require some help to deal
with benchwork, rail and tie profile, and structures, etc. to create the
inteneded 3D aspects.

Robert Heller -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364
Deepwoods Software -- Custom Software Services
heller@... -- Webhosting Services

Joost van der Waa

Hi Charles,

Xtrkcad does indeed not support 3D-views. However, there is a separate 3D viewer program available, called "Xtrkcad viewer". You can download it from http://mwik.altervista.org/
It offers a nice 3D view of your setup. You can switch off/on the various layers and rotate/zoom. The software is compatible with the latest beta-version of Xtrkcad (thanks to the programmer who reacted on my remark that the file format of Xtrkcad had slightly changed).

As Robert Heller points out, there is no z-dimension in the track definition, so tracks will be displayed as flat objects in the viewer. Also objects like lines and circles are not shown in the 3D-view.

I have attached an example of my own setup and 3D-view as an example.

Mats Wikström

Hi.

You might want to try this little viewer I have created for XTrackCAD (Windows only).
BR/MW

On Tuesday, August 4, 2020, 11:27:09 AM GMT+2, Joost van der Waa <register@...> wrote:

Hi Charles,

Xtrkcad does indeed not support 3D-views. However, there is a separate
3D viewer program available, called "Xtrkcad viewer". You can download
It offers a nice 3D view of your setup. You can switch off/on the
various layers and rotate/zoom. The software is compatible with the
latest beta-version of Xtrkcad (thanks to the programmer who reacted on
my remark that the file format of Xtrkcad had slightly changed).

As Robert Heller points out, there is no z-dimension in the track
definition, so tracks will be displayed as flat objects in the viewer.
Also objects like lines and circles are not shown in the 3D-view.

I have attached an example of my own setup and 3D-view as an example.

Mats Wikström

Maybee we could reuse some of my code.
I have a new draft version written in c++, it is fully open source and only depending on wxWidgets and standard lib.
It runs on an 10 year old computer with a GeForce GTX 1050 graphic card (Win10)

An OpenGL canvas and mouse event handler is needed if to replace wxWidgets and a c++ interface is needed to access data model.
So if anyone can help me, we could give it a try.
If it is of interest mail me on matswkstrm@...
BR/MW

Ian

Hi Mats, that looks like fun, will update to your latest Viewer soon as I can.

Thank you for your contributions to this great system.

Just a little note, at some time you need to fix up the forum link at the very bottom of that page.

Now off to play in 3D.

--
-- Ian

Ian

Mats, two problems:
1. I can't seem to get it to show me the view from the side. As soon as I try to head that way it scrolls off the screen. There is probably something simple that I am not doing correctly.
2. It isn't placing the tunnel sections over the track exactly in sync.

On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 at 06:53, Ian <ilox11@...> wrote:
[...]

Ooops, I had missed the instruction about using the RIGHT-Mouse Button to change the viewpoint. That worked for me. Interesting view.
Many thanks.

On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 at 08:58, Ian via groups.io <ilox11=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Peter B.

Edited

Hi together, I`m Pit from Cologne and I want to restart my Hobby.

First I want to complete my track layout by using xtrkcad.
I want to see the layout in 3D and via Google I found in the wiki a reference to the software "rail3d".
http://xtrkcad-fork.sourceforge.net/Wikka/ModellingIn3D
http://www.rail3d.info/wiki/howto/layoutdesignwithxtrkcad.aspx?Lang=EN
To use a xtrkcad file in rail3d you have to use a convertion tool "raild3dXTraktor". The links in the wiki doesen`t work, but I found:
https://markhodson.nl/
Anyway, I found the tool rail3dXTraktor, but it doesn`t work. The output window shows only "TEXT 20000 20000 Origin", not more.

Is there a solution to use rail3d?

Thanks for support.

Pit

emrldsky

Hi Pit,
I have used early versions of both, and still use both.
Maybe, back in the days of the covered wagon when both tools were first being developed, there was some success at transferring the data into Rail3D. However, as time moved on both programs have undergone major revisions and upgrades, so the extractor that is downloadable will not bring any satisfaction.  I believe the main issue is that the formats of the data files have both changed. The existing extractor does give a good framework, so if someone were so inclined, it could possibly be brought up to date. I am not sure if the source code is available. However, like many "re-dos" it would probably make more sense to start from scratch and start with a clear concept of what it was that was really wanted, then go from there, and compare both formats and consider the translation that would be needed to accomplish the goal.

Peace,
Mike G.

On 10/28/2020 4:34 AM, pit.com@... wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hi together, I`m Pit from Cologne and I want to restart my Hobby.

First I want to complete my track layout by using xtrkcad.
I want to see the layout in 3D and via Google I found in the wiki a reference to the software "rail3d".
http://xtrkcad-fork.sourceforge.net/Wikka/ModellingIn3D
http://www.rail3d.info/wiki/howto/layoutdesignwithxtrkcad.aspx?Lang=EN
To use a xtrkcad file in rail3d you have to use a convertion tool "raild3dXTraktor". The links in the wiki doesen`t work, but I found:
https://markhodson.nl/
Anyway, I found the tool rail3dXTraktor, but it doesn`t work. The output window shows only "TEXT 20000 20000 Origin", not more.

Is there a solution to use rail3d?

Thanks for support.

Pit

Joost van der Waa

Hi Pit,

I tried to get the same results as you did using rail3d and ended up in the same dead end.
The only 3d-viewer I know of is Xtrkviewer. You can download it from http://mwik.altervista.org/

Please note that Xtrackcad track are basically flat objects, so a 3D-view is rather limited compared to more sophisticated tools like Rail3d or Winrail.

Joost

Peter B.

Hi,

thanks for your infomation.
I think it would be helpful for newbies, if the xtrkcad-wiki will be updated regarding this issue.

Pit