Xtrackcad Keyboard Functions #HowTo

twfavor@...

Hello again,  Viewed the video tutorials I found on the wiki site.  I noticed the narrator referred to keyboard functions he was using instead of the mouse to create his desired outcome. Am I missing something, it seems knowing what they are and how to use them would be help in my understanding of this cad program. If anyone has any information on how to locate them I'd appreciate their response.

Thank you in advance for any help,
Tom

Robert Gerald

Tom,
If you click on any of the tabs at the top of the screen (File,Edit,View,etc.) the drop down list for that tab has the keyboard shortcuts at the right edge of the list.

Try it, you'll like it,
Bob Gerald

On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 7:24 PM twfavor via groups.io <twfavor=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello again,  Viewed the video tutorials I found on the wiki site.  I noticed the narrator referred to keyboard functions he was using instead of the mouse to create his desired outcome. Am I missing something, it seems knowing what they are and how to use them would be help in my understanding of this cad program. If anyone has any information on how to locate them I'd appreciate their response.

Thank you in advance for any help,
Tom

Dwyane Ward

Tom,

I have attached a keyboard cheat sheet.
I do not who created it.
Have not check it for comparison to latest ver of XtkCAD
--
Dwyane Ward

Adam Richards

I think if you extend the point to also include "Mouse Moves" although we have made some progress lately, but there is still some ways to go in the program.

There are the keyboard shortcuts to get directly at functions you can otherwise do via Menus and/or clicking the tool icons. These are listed after the command in the Menu.  These mostly start with a modifier like Shift or Ctrl or a combo.

Then there are the contextual keys which operate within some commands on the drawing surface. These are listed in the context menu (right-click or shift+right-click depending on setting) where these are sub-commands you can invoke (the key gets you there faster).  Editing a polygon/line would be a prime example, where with a point selected you can alter its smoothness. These are simple keys - that are supposed in some way to relate to the action (sometimes due to collisions that is tortuous, however).

Mouse Click combos (Shift+Click, etc) are signalled in the V5.2 UI when holding down that modification key prior to click, if the cursor spot is sensitive. You get a different drawing cursor depending on what action will result on the object under the cursor.  Select and Modify are the prime commands for examples.

In all cases, the Help manual will attempt to spell out the mouse options and key actions for the command - F1 should jump you into the right Help section while you are in any command.

------

What would be good is to make the Help more dynamic with animations/video links and to have a floating "cheat-sheet" that shows the available options in context.  There would be ideally an online help to allow for modification and upgrade without shipping code.  Finally to allow user specification of shortcuts to extend the defined set. These are all V6 thoughts, however.

Adam

Chris Kenyon

Personally, I much prefer mousing and clicking to learning keyboard shortcuts for the functions that are available directly through the GUI.  But it's the second order functions that are only available using the keyboard that are really hard to find.  I spent five years cursing the fact that my turnouts never (well, hardly ever) joined to an endpoint the way I wanted them to, before discovering that shift and left click would spin the damn things round - and nearly as long before I happened upon shift and right click to give me options to control rotation precisely, instead of hopefully dragging at the selected item.  I now occasionally scan the user guide at random in the hope of coming across other similar gems ......

But I do still love the effort you guys are putting in, and I have written user documentation myself back in the day, so fully understand the difficulties in explaining all the myriad options in a logical fashion  :-)

I suspect if you wanted to make the program absolutely perfect, you probably wouldn't start from where you are today!