Topics

XtrackCad will not open High Sierra 10.13.6

William Allen

XtrackCad will not do anything! I have followed most all of the install instructions out there to no avail.
XQuartz is installed, XtrackCad is installed and verified, but there is absolutely no response when opening the program.
There is no notice of XtrackCad in Preferences/Security.

Any and all suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks…Bill

Adam Richards

Bill,
When you “Open” - the latest Apple instructions say to use Finder on the Applications folder (assuming you dragged it in there in install) and then Ctrl-click it and select “Open” from the Menu.  Double or single click on the app will not work now until after this has been done.

Another thing to check if that fails, is whether you can open XQuartz (and then go to its menu and open it’s terminal).  After installing XQuartz for the first time you have to logout/login (or reboot) in order to get the Display set up for it.  And XQuartz needs to be re-installed after a OSX version upgrade, of course - otherwise its settings will not be good.

From your description, the first idea seems most likely as the issue to me.  I remember the time it took me to discover this approach when Catalina was introduced - and Apple has now back-migrated this to Sierra onwards.  They are afraid of downloaded nasties, of course, and users simply “clicking through” after download. We can’t meet the requirements to get into Apple’s signing program - (not a legal entity registered as a company or an individual who is able to make that happen - with enough gold).  Microsoft is doing similar things, (total = gold*2) so unfortunately it is our users who have to find their way around the usability blocks.

Adam

William Allen

Adam…Still nothing works!  Attached is a TextEdit file of what happens when I click on XtrakCad App.
Perhaps this will help.

Thanks…Bill

On Oct 8, 2020, at 9:10 AM, Adam Richards <adamjmrichards@...> wrote:

Bill,
When you “Open” - the latest Apple instructions say to use Finder on the Applications folder (assuming you dragged it in there in install) and then Ctrl-click it and select “Open” from the Menu.  Double or single click on the app will not work now until after this has been done.

Another thing to check if that fails, is whether you can open XQuartz (and then go to its menu and open it’s terminal).  After installing XQuartz for the first time you have to logout/login (or reboot) in order to get the Display set up for it.  And XQuartz needs to be re-installed after a OSX version upgrade, of course - otherwise its settings will not be good.

From your description, the first idea seems most likely as the issue to me.  I remember the time it took me to discover this approach when Catalina was introduced - and Apple has now back-migrated this to Sierra onwards.  They are afraid of downloaded nasties, of course, and users simply “clicking through” after download. We can’t meet the requirements to get into Apple’s signing program - (not a legal entity registered as a company or an individual who is able to make that happen - with enough gold).  Microsoft is doing similar things, (total = gold*2) so unfortunately it is our users who have to find their way around the usability blocks.

It does help. So close to success!

See the line near the end -

(XtrkCAD-bin:31435): Gtk-
WARNING **: cannot open display:

That's why it is failing. OSX Security is all ok by this point. But XQuartz is not providing XtrkCAD with a Display.  This is normally set up just after XQuartz has been installed when the user logs out and then logs in again. If that step is missed, it will not be set correctly.

A thing to try is to see if the built-in XQuartz apps will launch. Run XQuartz and then Xman inside it - see attached.

You can also use this command in Terminal -

echo $DISPLAY

It should give you something like this -

/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.ASXZHr17gZ/org.macosforge.xquartz:0

In any case, the simple thing to do is to re-download XQuartz from XQuartz.org and re-install it. Then log off and log on as the XQuartz instructions require (a reboot will also do). Then look at the DISPLAY variable again.

Adam

William Allen

Adam…I am stumped!  I have re-downloaded and installed XQuartz.  I then rebooted the iMac.  However, this is what I get...Attached is a screen shot of XQuartz that is open, Xman is open, Terminal is open, and what is returned when typing “echo $DISPLAY”.  I do not get "/private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.ASXZHr17gZ/org.macosforge.xquartz:0”.

Anything else?

Thanks…Bill

On Oct 9, 2020, at 8:39 AM, Adam Richards <adamjmrichards@...> wrote:

[...]

<Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 8.19.23 AM.png> <Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 8.19.23 AM.png>

Adam Richards

Unfortunately the screenshot was attached at too low a res to allow me to read it.  :).

Anyway, the core issue is that DISPLAY variable not being set.  This indicates that this plist - /Library/LaunchAgents/org.macosforge.xquartz.startx.plist

has been stopped from running as a launchd service using "launchctl unload" or was overwritten somehow

try this command -

/bin/launchctl list

Look in the listing for the service org.macosforge.xquartz.startx

I am going to guess that if it exists it has a status like -9 (disabled).

This command -

/bin/launchctl load /Library/LaunchAgents/org.macosforge.xquartz.startx.plist

Should start it again and hopefully set up Display.

The XQuartz system uses a different authorized plist which is why it could start.

An alternative, if that doesn't work, you can try to use the xterm window you got working inside XQuartz and enter in it -

open -a /Applications/xtrkcad.app

That may work even without a Display variable set because it is launching from within XQuartz.

Fingers again crossed.

Adam

William Allen

Adam…I have good news and bad news!  Good News…Xtrkcad opened using the command /bin/launchctl load /Library/LaunchAgents/org.macosforge.xquartz.startx.plist.

Bad News…Xtrkcad will not import any of my old layout files.  After saving…it will not reopen when clicking on the Xtrkcad App.  I have to go back to XQuartz’s Terminal and retype the command.
Also there is no listing of org.macosforge.xquartz.startx in the /bin/launchctl list . When searching /Library/LaunchAgents/org.macosforge.xquartz.startx.plist, the return showed it as disabled (see screen shot).

What next?

Thanks…Bill

On Oct 10, 2020, at 1:43 AM, Adam Richards <adamjmrichards@...> wrote:

open -a /Applications/xtrkcad.app

Adam Richards

Bill,
It seems the service was disabled and not just unloaded. Please reissue the launchctl load command with the -w flag like this.

/bin/launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/org.macosforge.xquartz.startx.plist

That should force re-enabling. Until that service is running well there will be no joy from double-clicking.

Given this is a very abnormal situation for OSX, someone/something must have run an unload with -w to force it off. A possibility that might do that is if you had been tried installing x11 at some point past the time it was ditched by Apple and all support moved to xquartz as they compete for the right to service X apps. Anyway, let's get it re-enabled and running.

As to opening of layout files, please be more precise.  Exactly what did you try and what did the program do?  (Commands used, Error messages, etc). BTW - You said "Import" but that is a command used for *.xti files only. Your layouts would be *.xtc files and "Open..." is the correct way to open them. There is never a need to import/upgrade those files between versions, Xtrkcad layout file format is fully upward compatible (and documented in the Wiki).

(Actually .xti format is upward compatible as well, but the difference is that is just the raw track/draw objects and not all the layers and other settings of a Layout).

Adam

William Allen

Adam…GREAT NEWS!  It works.   Xtrkcad is working with a double click.

Here is what I did:

I am running High Sierra 10.13.6 on a late 2009 21.5” iMac, 500GB SSD with 16GB memory.

I uninstalled XQuartz and Xtrkcad.

I then followed the following routine that I found on the internet.  https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/105886/problem-in-installing-x11-xquartz-in-mac-10-8-5

 installer: This update requires you to first update your system to OS-X 10.6.3.  The installer is not recognizing the system as the correct version. Although the contents of /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist shows that the value of ProductVersion is set to '10.8.5', the installer does not see it this way.
It may be possible to modify the package's Distribution file to allow it to install correctly:
  1. Mount the XQuartz-2.7.4.dmg disk image (assuming that it's on the Desktop):
    Enter in Terminal:  hdiutil mount ~/Desktop/XQuartz-2.7.4.dmg
  1. Expand the package into a folder name XQuartz on the Desktop:
    Enter in Terminal:  sudo pkgutil --expand /Volumes/XQuartz-2.7.4/XQuartz.pkg ~/Desktop/XQuartz
     Modify the Distribution file inside of the expanded package, to allow installation to occur (regardless of the system version):
  2. Enter in Terminal:  cat ~/Desktop/XQuartz/Distribution | sed s/false/true/g > ~/Desktop/Distribution
  3. Move the new Distribution file into the expanded package
    Enter in Terminal:  sudo mv ~/Desktop/Distribution ~/Desktop/XQuartz
  4. Flatten the modified package:
    Enter in Terminal:  sudo pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/XQuartz ~/Desktop/XQuartz.pkg
  5. Cleanup the XQuartz folder that was expanded from the original package
    Enter in Terminal:  sudo rm -rf ~/Desktop/XQuartz
After creating the modified package on the Desktop, you may be able to double-click on the file to get it to install normally. Alternately, installing using the Terminal may also work at this point.

I Double clicked XQuartz and the file installed and is running!

Then I installed XtrkCad and it worked!  Xtrkcad now opens with a double click.  After a quick check, it appears that the program is working.

 I have no idea why the problem occurred or why this ”routine” apparently fixed it, as I am not that well versed in using Terminal.

I really appreciate the help and effort that you have given me.  I wish I could return the favor.  Perhaps this routinely help others with a similar problem.

A million THANKS…Bill

On Oct 10, 2020, at 9:49 AM, Adam Richards <adamjmrichards@...> wrote:

[...]

Glad you got going - now you just have the bugs to contend with!

Users have found a couple of good ones, so once we have them fixed, we will get to a Beta 3.1 out.

Adam