Topics

Xtrackcad won't open in Mac Big Sur or Catalina

imanibaker

I just discovered Xtrackcad and joined this group.

I am running Big Sur.  I downloaded the latest version and moved it from the download folder to the applications folder.  I double-clicked, received the "unknown developer" message, clicked Open Anyway, and then the icon just bounced a couple of times in the dock but the app never opened.  I booted into Catalina, and same behavior.

I also downloaded the Windows version, and after telling Bill Gates the program wasn't malware, I was able to open it.  however, I would rather not use my PC.

thanks for any suggestions.

Ken

Adam Richards

Ken,

1. Ensure that XQuartz is installed (and has been updated if the OS has been updated). And that the system has been rebooted or you have logged on and off after it was installed (there is a DISPLAY setting that needs to be associated with your logon).  If this worked, you should see the X icon also open before the program opens. The XtrackCAD icon will start bouncing first and the "X" second.  And in one case we dealt with recently, XQuartz needed to be reinstalled from xquartz.org (and a logoff and logon) because the install had become corrupted and although X started, XTrackCAD failed to be able to get a Display.

2. Note - Recent OSX security changes (Big Sur, Catalina and even backported into Mojave at least) mean that on first run you need to use Right-Click and Open (and not double click) on the program to get going the first time.  The old way of using System Preferences->Security & Privacy and hitting "Run Anyway" does not work any more.

I imagine as you say got the bouncing XTrackcad icon, implying you passed security, your issue is most likely with #1.

Adam

imanibaker

thanks for the quick reply!!  I've been using Macs since dirt was new and have never encountered XQuartz!

now I'm up and running!

I just now discovered the Wiki which would have told me about XQuartz.

is there a downloadable manual?

thanks again!

ken

Ken,
The latest we have (it is the same content in the included Help manual you can get to via "Help" or by using F1 in a command) is now in sourceforge V5.2.1 folder - https://sourceforge.net/projects/xtrkcad-fork/files/XTrackCad/Version%205.2.1/XTrackCAD%20User_s%20Manual%205.2.1a.pdf/download

It was kindly provided by Dwayne.

Adam

imanibaker

great!!  I printed it and have started to study it.

thanks

Mike6490@...

Thanks. I get a notice that the app developer is not recognized by Apple and may contain malware.
I can't bypass this notice.
Mike Garozzo

On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 12:06 PM imanibaker <faithie999@...> wrote:
great!!  I printed it and have started to study it.

thanks

Adam Richards

Mike,
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491

Read down to the bottom - you’ll want to go to security and privacy and hit “run anyway”.

Adam

Mike Garozzo <Mike6490@...>

Hello Adam,
Thank you for the reply and I did get past the app lockout.  I didn't realize that the warning from Apple
had to be closed before the 'open anyway' button opened.  Interestingly enough, the app will still not open
even though it shows the alias.
I am using OS 11.1 Big Sur so now I'm wondering if there is a hang up with this new OS.  Any ideas?
Thanks for your help!
Mike

On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 7:19 PM Adam Richards <adamjmrichards@...> wrote:

Mike,
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491

Read down to the bottom - you’ll want to go to security and privacy and hit “run anyway”.

Adam

imanibaker

I'm running Big Sur and xtrackcad opened for me.  what I failed to do initially was to download and install Xquartz.

what do you mean by this?   Interestingly enough, the app will still not open
even though it shows the alias.

is the xtrackcad icon just bouncing in the dock but nothing else is happening?

Mike Garozzo <Mike6490@...>

You are correct. The app is bouncing in the dock but not opening. But what is Xquartz? Never heard of it.
Thanks,
Mike

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 4:42 PM imanibaker <faithie999@...> wrote:
I'm running Big Sur and xtrackcad opened for me.  what I failed to do initially was to download and install Xquartz.

what do you mean by this?   Interestingly enough, the app will still not open
even though it shows the alias.

is the xtrackcad icon just bouncing in the dock but nothing else is happening?

XQuartz is the open source version of X11 that allows programs like xtrkcad which use Unix system calls to run on  OS X. Apple used to produce it - but the contributed it to the open source community about 5 OSX versions ago.

You will probably find the OS X install instructions at
http://xtrkcad-fork.sourceforge.net/Wikka/MacInstall
helpful.

In short, xtrkcad won’t start without it. You install from XQuartz.org.

Note - at least the first time you need to use the right-click and Open method - but if you got the icon dancing but no “X” icon (for XQuartz) yet that’s what you need.

Adam